• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tele intonation

3 Card Monty

I've intonated my new Tele , but I can't get the G in total intonation. It's in tune as open. It's in tune on the 12th fret, but when I go to hit an A (2nd fret) it sounds all funky. I've adjusted the action & it's good. I've adjusted the (3-brass) saddle & it just won't Intonate until I get to the 12th fret. What to Do?

SamBooka

new strings or old ones? How is your nut depth on the g? Plain or wounds (assuming plain). Funny thing about telecasters is they can sound a little better with the G string intonated a little flat..

mellecaster

I would strongly suggest You do some studying via the interweb on Fretted instrument intonation, lots of good articles out there to address your concerns.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds like your G string nut slot is not cut low enough. Measure the height of each string at the nut with a 64th's ruler and make sure they are consistent. I suspect the G string is not cut low enough.

dnauhei

I know exactly what you are talking about. More than once, I got a tele back from a set and thought the intonation was off on the g and d string. At first I blamed the tech, but he had actually done the job right. That's a how a tele sounds if you intonate it by the book. But it really does not work up the neck from 5th fret on. I spent a lot of time with my tech on this and somehow he dialed it in so I was happy. It's been a while but there is an article about this on the internet--maybe by roy buchanan? One trick is tune the g a bit sharp. But there is stuff you can do to the tele to fix it as well. Wish I could remember. I think I did a thread about it as well.

mellecaster

Once again:
The little secret of a fretted instrument is that if you get everything absolutely perfect @ the 12th fret, all strings will be a little sharp @ the 1st fret,(even w/ a perfectly cut nut) and less so as you work your way up the neck (try it w/ your Electronic Tuner)….If you play a lot of open chords (on a Guitar) at the first 3 frets… A Tuner is only a starting point, you still need to “Sweeten” your tuning by Ear to make various chords sound in tune. If this little bit of info makes you Sad, think about a Fiddle player….they have to intonate every Damn note they play on the Fly….See how easy you got it ?….That’s all for now.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds to me like the G string's nut slot isn't cut with enough down angle...which causes the open string to not ring true from the front edge of the nut, throwing off the intonation.

swiveltung

Sounds like your G string nut slot is not cut low enough. Measure the height of each string at the nut with a 64th's ruler and make sure they are consistent. I suspect the G string is not cut low enough.
I vote this. Or you are pressing too hard or possibly pulling the string sideways just a bit. Not uncommon.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I've intonated my new Tele , but I can't get the G in total intonation. It's in tune as open. It's in tune on the 12th fret, but when I go to hit an A (2nd fret) it sounds all funky.
i'll bet you a quarter the nut slots are too high, pushing all the notes sharp on the first few frets; the plain G is the "bendiest" string, so it's the one that gets stretched the most obviously sharp when you push it all the way down to that first fret.

this is how guitars always seem to come from the factory, you need to get the nut slots filed properly to get the strings down closer; do that and your chords will sound fine, it will stay in tune better, and it will be easier to play.

Trending Topics