Tele Jr Pickguard

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Giraffecaster, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

I wanted to do a custom build Tele Jr style build. Basically p90, bridge, but what really makes it is the pickguard. Google Tele Jr and you get http://www.zen-pharaohs.com/guitars/Fender/telejr.htm
    it was a custom shop model that was discontinued in 2001 (I called fender to confirm, and no they don't have the pickguard available).

I did a little searching around and I found a company that I will not name. I called them up and purchased their "Tele Jr" style and they even asked if I wanted the p90 route. I figured all was good. I get it today and it's a Merle Haggard style :BITCH :
    http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0100402803

I promptly call up the company I purchased it from and they tell me that they are being generous offering that I can return it to them for a 50% restocking fee. what!? :jo Then they said that if I had an original Tele Jr pickguard that they could make it for me for free.

So.. Does anyone have a pickguard that I can borrow or do you know where I can buy one? And if I can't figure it out should I call my credit card company and charge it back because they sent me a product that wasn't what I ordered?

Thanks for all the help :)

2. Nelly

Nelly Member

Fender did Tele Jr's with both styles of scratchplate, so you can't totally blame them for the confusion.

Mine has the bigger Merle Haggard style one on it.

Good luck, the smaller guard looks way better!

3. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

Ahh shoot. Really? Do you have a picture of yours? Sounds interesting

4. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Pickup covers were originally black. I like this style better, but that's just personal taste.

5. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

:AOK Looks pretty nice!

6. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

Oh and do you know when the switch was made from the big to the small? Or was it small to big?

7. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Mine was one of the last half dozen out the door...

[​IMG]

8. Nelly

Nelly Member

I think mine is a '94, seems to be the later ones had the smaller scratchplate.
    Mine is the same as stevieboy's, but in TV yellow with black pickup covers and a reversed control plate.
    Found this pic of a newer one with a quick google search
    [​IMG]

9. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

Ian and Nelly,

How is the pickguard attached on the small version? It doesn't look like there are screws?

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

As you've discovered, there isn't a lot of info out there. To be honest I'm not even sure if there was a distinct time progression, as in, they made one, then switched to the other. It's a Custom Shop guitar, and though they had a "production" version, which I'm pretty sure that mine is, and cherry was the other more common color, they also did special runs as well as one offs on special order, so I think anything goes and its hard to make blanket statements, though it seems as though earlier ones had the larger guard, later smaller. Though the blonde and the cherry are the most common colors, I've seen or seen pics of a lot of different versions, sunburst, natural (mahogany of course), and a killer surf green one come to mind. Hadn't seen one with a black contrasting head stock until Nelly's post.

The reversed control plate was pretty much standard, I turned mine around when I installed a set of Lollars.

I did look at one once with a smaller pickguard that was coming up off the surface of the guitar, some kind of adhesive obviously, probably easily repaired.

11. John Hurtt

Mine has thin two-sided tape, no screws.

12. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Then there is/was the 3rd pickguard shape as seen here. These are 2 of the other remaining 5 Ian mentioned above. The only 2 relic "Telecaster Juniors".
    That's Red Dave of the Custom Shop who built them both for Eric102673 and I.
    Mine's Ms. Pinky :BluesBros

[​IMG]

13. John Hurtt

Sweet! :BEER

14. Nelly

Nelly Member

Hi Ron, how's it going?

You make so many fantastic guitars, I was wondering why you would get someone else to make such a deceptively simple guitar for you?

I've been playing my Tele Jr all night, it is such a great sounding guitar.

Take care,

Neil

15. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Hey Neil,

That's kind of you, thanks. Honestly, the fact that my good friend Red Dave built it for me means more than the guitar alone.

Ron

16. John Hurtt

I'm not sure I've ever dropped by Ron's shop and that Tele Jr. hasn't been there in Ron's "office". :AOK

17. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Great to see all the pics & variety- I was feeling kind of alone with a Tele Jr. - as has been said, not a lot of info out there. Mine is a dark 2 tone sunburst with painted black headstock & small tourtiose pickguard. Best neck ever! Looks like they put the switch/knob plate both directions at random.

18. PRSOPHILE

PRSOPHILE Member

Tele Jr's that is.

I believe there are 4 different pickguards. Large (encompassing the neck pup), Medium Small (borders the control plate and extends to the treble horn), Small (just covers the treble horn), and Standard Tele but cutout for a P90 (the one Red Dave made for Ron and E).

I believe the production was earlymid 90's (maybe '94?) and were FCS Teambuilt and went to 1999 (maybe 2001)? Standard finishes were Blonde (TV Blonde), Vintageburst (Tobaccoburst w/black border, black neck & headstock), Vintage Cherry (like Gibson's Heritage Cherry), and Natural.

FCS made some special numbered runs for FCS Dealers (WMC and who knows who else?!) that were of a numbered series and all of these, that I've seen, had the Large pickguard. The numbered series I'm familiar with are in TV Blonde XXX of 100, Vintageburst XXX of 150, and Shoreline Gold XX of 25.

There are some Masterbuilds (like Ron & E's) that are Seafoam, White, and a Blue (LP Blue?) and of course Ron's "Pussee Pink" and E's "Baby Blue":BluesBros .

MSRP originally began at $1900, then peaked at around $2800 in final production years for the Teambuilds.

To my knowledge, all Tele Jr's had reversed control plates. Some owners didn't like the reverse so they turned it around themselves.

Finish is nitro.

Setneck (not neckthru).

Pau Ferro fretboard.

The most interesting bit of info I can offer is that there are two different "innerds". According to the Fender Frontline catalog I saw ('95?), the Tele Jr had 11 one inch tone chambers throughout the body of the guitar. Recently, I found out that somewhere along the production of the Tele Jr FCS switched to the Tele Thinline carve where there's 3 large chambers (large single routs on the bass and treble sides, and a medium rout behind the bridge). Why the change? Maybe easier to do?

Yes, I have a weakness for Tele Jr's!

19. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I definitely prefer this one.

The small one looks stupid to me, like it was thrown on as an afterthought, IMO...

20. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Damn...! I like Miss Pinky...! :dude

(And she's even got the controls facing the right way...! LOL!)