Tele Kits

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dod6, Oct 5, 2008.

1. dod6

dod6 Member

Hey guys,
    I've been wanting a tele style guitar for a while now, and I have also been wanting to do a parts project. Where can I get the best tele kit for a decent price. I don't think piecing one together from USACG is a choice for me, as I could come out about the same and get a used american or am. deluxe tele. I would like to stay below $300. Should I just pick up a MIM tele, or will a kit turn out better, worse, or about the same as far as quality, sound, and playability?

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Partscasters are really about learning experience and customization, not so much about significant cost savings. Fender has an economy of scale that allows them to produce very high quality guitars that rival any pre-fab kits at the lower price points. The USACG parts are more expensive because they are custom made and can be spec'd out any way you choose, whereas kits and production guitars have limited choices that are determined at the factory.

At $300, your kit choices aren't exactly stellar. I would recommend a Fender MIM tele. This allows you to play several different examples and choose the one that you think is best instead of getting a bag of parts and hoping everything turns out okay.

3. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

a parts guitar with quality parts as cheap as you can buy a production guitar of like quality. If you already have some of the parts you can complete the guitar for less money but in fact you have already paid the cost.
    Good luck on your build,
    Rob