• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tele Mod - What would you do?

CHyde

My number one guitar is my '05 LP Standard. However, I pride myself on being versatile and want to have the classic sounds for any situation be it live or studio. I currently have a MIM Powerhouse Strat and a MIM Tele.

I love my Tele much more than my strat because of both feel and tone. The pickups on the strat seem to give me more high end than I want but I can't afford to mod it & keep both guitars. So, I've come to the decision to sell the strat & mod the Tele. I'm trying to decide whether to do a Brent Mason type thing or more of a Nashville Tele.

The Mason configuration has a SD Vintage Lead Stack in the bridge, an SD Hot Stack in the middle with separate volume to blend it in, and a Gibson(could use a SD) mini bucker in the neck.

My other option would be putting two strat type pickups in the middle & neck.

What are your thoughts on the configuration I should use and the types of pickups? I already have some locking tuners & graphite saddles to put on it too. Gonna be mean whichever way I go. I'm super excited.

Thanks for your input!

Chris

CHyde

The Esquire looks to have only one pickup. Wouldn't help me for what I'm looking to do.

daddyo

You need a single coil in the bridge or it's not a tele. I have a SD Jerry Donahue and love it). I'd go SD vintage Minibicker neck (I have this config and love it) and a strat single coil in middle.

CHyde

You need a single coil in the bridge or it's not a tele. I have a SD Jerry Donahue and love it). I'd go SD vintage Minibicker neck (I have this config and love it) and a strat single coil in middle.
That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thanks!

What do you like about the Donahue over other Tele pickups?

daddyo

The JD is like a slightly beefier vintage Tele bridge. A bit more balls. The SD Vintage Minibucker has a fat but articulate tone that can go jazz to rock but it's not too dark. When in parallel with the JD, you get a fat clear rhythm tone that is great for everything from funk to alt rock. I don't have a middle pup but I'd get something that balances with the bridge for those quack tones.

fieldhdj

Consider a TV Jones Classic or Magnatron the the neck. It sounds like a Tele, just more, more, more.

rick13

Silver Supporting Member
With my Revelator blackguard, I have a 5 way switch, a custom tone pot that does the mid scoop thing from 0 to 5, with midrange boost on 5 to 10. The tone pot uses an inductor with a combination of resistors and orange drops. I used Don Mare pickups with a 15K bridge pickup on a push pull volume pot. Extremely versatile, killer tones.
Rick

Any more suggestions?
Get a set of Bill and Becky Keystones, or a set of No-caster pickups to which a separate neck cover ground lead must be affixed, and do the guitar as a four way switch. You'll have 2, not one, 60 cycle canceling positions and the "new" one, the Series in Phase combo, will give you some of that beef people are usually looking for when they start looking into Mason/Nashville style gismo-fests.

I agree with you; you're not meant at this time to play an Esquire. When you replace the pickups and switch on your MIM Std, put a quality compensated 3 brass saddles vintage style bridge plate on there - or, if you must, the Gotoh modern style premium bridge (Stew Mac sells this as item #0025 and if I'm not mistaken this is the one Brent uses).

CHyde

Get a set of Bill and Becky Keystones, or a set of No-caster pickups to which a separate neck cover ground lead must be affixed, and do the guitar as a four way switch. You'll have 2, not one, 60 cycle canceling positions and the "new" one, the Series in Phase combo, will give you some of that beef people are usually looking for when they start looking into Mason/Nashville style gismo-fests.

I agree with you; you're not meant at this time to play an Esquire. When you replace the pickups and switch on your MIM Std, put a quality compensated 3 brass saddles vintage style bridge plate on there - or, if you must, the Gotoh modern style premium bridge (Stew Mac sells this as item #0025 and if I'm not mistaken this is the one Brent uses).
Great suggestion. Thanks!

cheetah77

Man, I've thinking about that Mare Stingray lately for my Esquire, HGT can you elaborate a little more on how each tap sounds?

Also Chyde, I've gone through a few Tele pups and the JD is really good, traditional Blackguard type tone with sweet highs and a little extra bark than a stock Tele. The DiMarzio Pre-B1 is a good modern tele sound, good for rock and still has some twang. I have a Peter Florance pup in my Esquire currently that kills, 8.5k so it's got some muscle, but still cleans up nicely when rolled back a little.

I've learned by rotating my pups through different guitars, that if the guitar just doesn't have good tone, a new pickup will do very little to change that. If your guitar has a good acoustic tone, and resonates well unplugged, most high end pups will reflect that, then it just becomes a matter of flavor.

YMMV

Maybe a Kinman treble bleed on the volume pot, and a 3 way tone bypass mini toggle to give you one of the Esquire options, plus a 3rd option. You get the level boost in level of the bypass and a cool warming of the top end as you roll the pot down (I get a better sound using a Mallory cap which gives a nice pronounced clear "Q" as opposed to a Sprague which is too "warm and smooth" for the Tele).

I find I use it a lot.

CHyde

Man, I've thinking about that Mare Stingray lately for my Esquire, HGT can you elaborate a little more on how each tap sounds?

Also Chyde, I've gone through a few Tele pups and the JD is really good, traditional Blackguard type tone with sweet highs and a little extra bark than a stock Tele. The DiMarzio Pre-B1 is a good modern tele sound, good for rock and still has some twang. I have a Peter Florance pup in my Esquire currently that kills, 8.5k so it's got some muscle, but still cleans up nicely when rolled back a little.

I've learned by rotating my pups through different guitars, that if the guitar just doesn't have good tone, a new pickup will do very little to change that. If your guitar has a good acoustic tone, and resonates well unplugged, most high end pups will reflect that, then it just becomes a matter of flavor.

YMMV
Great stuff from everyone. My Tele sounds great and still has the stock pu's. What I'm trying to do is make more of a tele/strat hybrid. Keeping the Tele sound in the bridge while also getting the strat type tones in the middle & neck.

WIth the feedback I've received so far I'm leaning towards the JD. Maybe I'll get a strat single coil in the neck and maybe a hot or vintage stack in the bridge. Still considering. Thanks again.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Combos I've used used with good results over the years:

1) Tele bridge with vintage minibucker neck - My #1 for several years, but these days I'd much rather have a TV Jones classic in the neck position - just better balanced with a tele bridge pickup.

2) Three strat pickups with the neck and bridge wired with a 4-way (series/parallel) switch and an push/pull tone pot to turn on the middle pickup. Great setup, but I just don't get along with middle pickups.

3) Two TV Jones Classics - my current most versatile guitar but not really single coil tones. Twangs though. Rippin' slide tone and nice fat neck pickup tone without mud.

4) Tele pickups with a 4-way switch - Currently I have a parts tele with Dimarzio Area T's and it works really well in the mix and does a beautiful jazz tone. I tried these pickups with a bit of skepticism, but have been pleasantly surprised how well they work.

Or you could go all Steve Morse and put every pickup you can fit between the neck pocket and bridge.

Desperado

Vertex Effects, Inc.
I really loved the '62 Reissue Tele that I had that had a Voodoo '59 PAF in the neck, Texas Special Strat PU in the middle, and a Fralin VH in the bridge. I had a coil tap on the neck pickup to get the single coil sound with a push/pull on the volume pot. It was very versitle. It could get some Les Paul tones in the neck and combo Neck/middle, Strat tone with the middle pickup and middle/bridge mix (for a nice in-between sound), and straight up Tele sounds with the Fralin VH in the bridge. I had a 5-way switch on the Tele to accomoadate all of these options, but it was great, and I've regretted selling it.

CHyde

Combos I've used used with good results over the years:

1) Tele bridge with vintage minibucker neck - My #1 for several years, but these days I'd much rather have a TV Jones classic in the neck position - just better balanced with a tele bridge pickup.

2) Three strat pickups with the neck and bridge wired with a 4-way (series/parallel) switch and an push/pull tone pot to turn on the middle pickup. Great setup, but I just don't get along with middle pickups.

3) Two TV Jones Classics - my current most versatile guitar but not really single coil tones. Twangs though. Rippin' slide tone and nice fat neck pickup tone without mud.

4) Tele pickups with a 4-way switch - Currently I have a parts tele with Dimarzio Area T's and it works really well in the mix and does a beautiful jazz tone. I tried these pickups with a bit of skepticism, but have been pleasantly surprised how well they work.

Or you could go all Steve Morse and put every pickup you can fit between the neck pocket and bridge.
That Steve Morse comment cracked me up!

I have a friend who uses the Dimarzio stuff & suggested the Area T's also. Definitely something to think about.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
That Steve Morse comment cracked me up!

I have a friend who uses the Dimarzio stuff & suggested the Area T's also. Definitely something to think about.
I was surprised. Sure nice not to have to worry about neon and they work great with effects etc. Jim Soloway had an interesting post comparing the neck pickup to Lollars in a blind taste test. Pretty revealing. I'm not getting strat tones (and not really after them) but I find the 4-way setup with these pickups really useful, more so than my old minibucker rig. There are guys on the tele page (tdpri.com) who can probably tell you what noiseless strat pickup you could use in the middle position.

Trending Topics