Tele Modern Player - what to do with it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cgkindler, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

So, this guitar came to me via way of a friend who couldn't repay a debt (I had given him other money, then when it was time to really dish out some bucks, we agreed the Tele would be collateral) What was the final straw was when we'd see his wife going to get her nails done, hair done, toes (pedicure or something) and other meaningless costly stuff that I said, fine, I'm keeping it then.

So, I've had it in the closest for awhile, really haven't thought much about it. Seeing the Black Guitar Thread got me thinking about it (it's the translucent black, where you can see a teeny tiny bit of wood grain....pretty cool actually)

It's stock. It's not bad at all, though the input jack is loose as all heck and no matter how many times I tighten the darn thing it just doesn't like to work. Yay for Modern Player quality lol.

Knowing I've got a plethora of other instruments:

[​IMG]

And actually a few other guitars like:

[​IMG]

and

(Epi Slasher)

[​IMG]

Even have a different Parker guitar

[​IMG]

So.......pups, pots, tuners (though the Strat will get it's treatment before this guy) ect.....

I play mostly 90's rock/alt rock and P&W stuff.....BUT - I LOVE getting my metal on man!! I haven't had active pups for years, like, so long ago and can't really remember what they're all about. lol

I'd love to hear some input. This is nothing that will happen tomorrow or anything, but that one thread got me thinking so I thought I'd throw out a post....plus I'm a sucker for finding reasons to post my music crap - I'm addicted, I know.:JAM

2. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

3. 335guy

335guy Member

Is there a question in here somewhere? Oh, okay, I see it's in the post subject "what to do with it?"

Why not just play it? Triple pickup Tele with a humbucker at the bridge should cover a lot of ground. Personally, I wouldn't mod it. Just get a good setup and enjoy it.

As for the input jack, can you un-screw the jack plate? If so, remove the jack plate and keep the jack itself stationary while tightening the nut on the outside. It should tighten up, unless the jack or nut treads are stripped. Then you'd have to replace the jack. Pretty simple repair.

4. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Good to know on the jack - I'll try that when I get home tonight.

Yeah - I think this post was more brain-spewing than anything. The black guitar thread activated a memory and I made a post before I knew what I was doing....lol

The guitar itself (or neck really) is really nice. :)

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Tuners are fine. If there are tuning problems, look at the nut. Every fixed bridge guitar made in the 90's or later with tuning problems that I've dealt with had nut problems, not tuner problems. Of course, that's provided the guitar is strung properly in the first place.

6. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

When you say strung properly, you're meaning like wound on the tuner pegs correctly - or do you mean different gauge strings than what it was setup for?

When it comes to the nut - so I try to make the spaces a little bigger that the strings go over (if that's even a thing) or is it a matter of changing the nut out?

Let's say I have an American Special Nitro Strat that I think has some slight tuning issues - would a new nut be a better choice that new Fender Locking Tuners (I know locking tuners are 90% better because of the ease of changing strings thing, but do they help hold tune better?)

Thanks man!

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Both. Ive seen tuning problems that were nothing more than the strings weren't stretched out well.

It depends.

Binding at the nut is a common problem. Even different string brands or types can cause it. Sometimes a little lubrication can fix it but sometimes there can be more to the problem that can require more work or even nut replacement.

For example, a cheapo I got recently had the grooves cut too narrow and shallow and this caused serious tuning problems on the B and G strings. Widening and deepening the slots fixed the problem.

All in all, I think you'll get more bang for your buck by improving the nut, either through fixing or replacing, than you will from new tuners.

As for locking tuners, yes, they'll make things easier and may help improve tuning stability but if the nut is bad they won't do much for you.

8. Fretzel

Fretzel Member

I have the same guitar myself. Wouldn't change a thing.

9. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Yeah, but the fact that guitar is bad to the bone doesn't hurt either!!

Lol

10. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

11. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Personally, I would...

- give the guitar back,
    - no longer be friends,
    - move on.