Tele Neck PUP for Jazz

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skipburz, Jul 6, 2018.

1. skipburz

skipburz Member

PUP question for you guys: I have an American Standard Tele that I use occasionally in the jazz ensemble I play with - especially when the weather is bad and I don't want to drag along one of my jazz boxes. I usually string it with either 12 gauge Thomastik flatwounds or Bebops and I currently have it wired with a 4-way switch so I can run the PUPs in series for a "thicker" tone. I'm thinking about putting a humbucker in the neck position for even more versatility. It's already routed for a HB and I have a HB pickguard that I can install. My first choice is the Lollar Charlie Christian (Humbucker size), and I might get one down the road; but for now, I have both a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover and a Seymour Duncan Jazz so I'll use one of them. What's your vote for comping and chord melody playing through my BF Deluxe, the Seth Lover or the Jazz? I don't mind losing the classic Tele sound. I have another stock Tele for that.

Thanks much for the input.

2. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

I have a Vintage Vibe HS90A in the neck of my G&L. P90 with Alnico rod magnets in a full size HB mount. Big, warm but articulate. Blends and balances well with your average Tele bridge pickup.

3. skipburz

skipburz Member

Great suggestion! I'll add to the list.

4. Mincer

Mincer Member

The Seth Lover is one amazing pickup for trad jazz tones, in any guitar.

5. Baker18

Baker18 Gold Supporting Member

The Lollar CC is a great pup for jazz - thickens things up while retaining clarity. The Analogman Big T pickup is also a surprisingly good choice. I have both and spend most of my time with the Big T.

6. e???

e??? Member

Charlie Christian is very sweet. But so is Lollar vintage t neck, the normal Tele neck pickup

7. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

8. stark

stark Supporting Member

Damn that was sweet. Deep deep... just a friendly word of advice to the pupil, when Ted is playing shut the F up.

9. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I just bought a Tele that belonged to a jazz guy. It’s got a Lollar Regal in the neck (and Vintage T in bridge). He had it strung with flatwound 11 or 12s.

The Regal is amazing, however I’m using it for rock, blues, etc.

10. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I like listening and watching Ed Bickert on YouTube. To me, his Tele sounds virtually the same with the stock pickup and after he installed the humbucker. I imagine he lost some hum that might have bugged him.

11. stark

stark Supporting Member

Actually I thought the stock one sounded better, but it’s subjective for sure. He’s such a great player it doesn’t matter. I always thought it was interesting that he hated fender amps.