• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

tele owners...what's up with tele bridges?

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Silver Supporting Member
On the Glendale website some bridges have 'cuts' and others don't...
What's the pros/cons on the differences/playability?

(note...I have not played many teles and I'm contemplating building one - partstele)

doublecut:

Vs.

nocut:

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Silver Supporting Member
Is a nocut just a 'hand rest'? Does a nocut one get in the way of strumming?

ReddRanger

The cut is supposed to come in handy if you do a lot of finger or chicken pickin' down on the bridge.

For me, I've never needed that and the regular bridge works just fine on my Tele.

Hecks

The cut is supposed to come in handy if you do a lot of finger or chicken pickin' down on the bridge.
Yeah, if you like to pick a lot between the bridge pickup and the saddles it keeps you from picking the side of the bridge.

I do this a lot but I just rest the palm of my hand on the back of the bridge and I don't really have a problem in hitting the side by mistake.

I think the "cut" is a good idea but not necessary or an improvement of the standard uncut bridge.

Mark 63

Supporting Member
The rail was originally designed as part of the ash-tray structure. Although very few people use the ash tray (Albert Collins kept it on), some do like the ridge as a palm rest.

My tele hasn't had this kind of plate in years, so when I play one with the ridge it feels weird.

Redfish

If you are starting from scratch it just makes sense to get the cut bridge. I've had both and while the standard bridge never bothered me for many years, once I had one that was cut down it's tough to go back.

Drew816

Cut Tele bridges rule, I can't stand the standard Tele bridge myself. Those sides just get in my way but for those 'used to' the old standard it's probably not an issue.

I use a Fender Cut Rail version with compensated brass saddles, a lot less expensive than a Glendale but I've heard good things about them as well...

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
It's known as the Gatton cut since he is the first one who popularized it.

It's meant for hybrid players who use their fingers in addition to the pick since that edge can get in the way.

I favor them.

If you're not a Tele player and are just building one for the first time, I would recommend against Glendale. Not because they aren't just about the best bridges made -they are AWESOME. But the Glendale bridgeplates cost about $100 and the saddles are another $50.

You can get a very nice Wilkinson bridge with compensated saddles for around $30.

Good advice.
You don't even know if you like tele's yet.
Tele's were meant to be inexpensive pro insruments.
Now some peope spend 2 - 3 thousand dollars on 'em.
Play it a while.

JJ

Polynitro

Id go with the trad one first, you can get the same bridge and saddles as on the 52RI and Nocaster for about $50. You may not need the cut.

Trending Topics