Tele parallel/series wiring question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mkolesa@mac.com, Jan 18, 2008.

1. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build my first T style partscaster and was thinking of getting the Callaham hardware kit. While arguably there might be a better saddle or doodad available elsewhere, the one stop shopping is sure an attractive option for someone just getting into this... Anyway, one of the options is to have the modern 3 position wiring or a 4 position series/parallel wiring. I know the difference between wiring something in series or parallel but I want to clarify what this means in this application... Does it mean you can select either the neck or bridge pick-up individually and then also select both pickups on in either series or parallel (which would imply a 4 position switch which I don't see offered)? Obviously I can ask them about what it means but I'd like to get some members views on series/parallel tele wiring (given that both pickups will be tele style single coils) and what to expect in terms of sound.

Thanks!

2. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Callaham offers a 4 way switch...if you get the prewired version, it's a $5 upcharge, but I don't know the price of the switch alone. I've never played a 4 way switch but I have one on the way. My understanding is that the series combination is a little hotter and more humbucker like than the parallel combination, which is the traditional tele sound. That sounds like a useful option to me.

John

3. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

I'm an nthusiastic user of Tele 4-way. It is as OP described, and John got the basics of the sound. Series is louder than parallel, and richer, a little more sparkle. Series is my favorite position for lead lines.

4. RomanS

RomanS Member

+1 for the 4-way-switch - the series position is nice for a "solo/lead" position, since it is louder than the others, has plenty of punchy mids with some bite on top, and on a Tele with RWRP pickups, will still work like a humbucker, so you won't get as much SC noise as eg. with the bridge pickup alone, when you playing with lots of overdrive.

Oh, and clean it also works for those punch surf-/Duane Eddy-style twangy bass lines.

5. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

Thanks for the advice... Sounds like a 4-way switch is definitely the way to go, the more options the better!