Tele Partscaster Build - Need some finishing input

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Cornholio, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Cornholio

Cornholio Member

I am not a luthier, but I have worked on my own guitars for years, and have 1 paint and refinish under project my belt. I am just a measly DIY. But I figured this is the better forum over Guitars in General. This will be my first attempt and staining and finishing a maple top. Below is the body that is coming. It arrives sanded down to 220 grit. So here is where I need some help if you gentlemen would be so kind.

1. What dyes are the most forgiving. Preferably something in a reasonable price point so I can experiment with colors. Leaning toward blue, more vibrant the better
    2. How should I prep the wood before dying and sanding? I want to avoid beginner mistakes.
    3. I am very impatient, and my last poly finish took forever to cure and made the wife mad because the fumes from the workshop came into the house. Suggested alternatives? Does not have to be high gloss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jvin248

jvin248 Member

wipe on tung oil.
    water based finishes.
    zinser shellac.

Tele features: 4-way switch, electrosocket jack, shielded cable to the jack, reversed control plate vol tone switch to the back.

3. Cornholio

Cornholio Member

So the shellac over the tung oil (once the oil is cured?) If so, how many coats?

4. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Member

Transtint dyes are great for finish work, but somewhat pricey for a one time use. They are about 20$ a bottle, and you would have tons left over.

you can mix it with water or denatured alcohol (which wouldn’t raise the grain)

you might also check out Keda (sp?) on amazon. Les expensive and comes in a pack of 5 or so colors. Can be used like transtint.
    You should get a scrap of maple to test all of this on first.
    I would go to tdpri.com or reranch.com and do a bunch of reading. Also check out big d guitars on YouTube as he has a bunch of videos on dying.

you can always use true oil as your top coat , easy to apply and pretty much fool proof.

5. JohnnyRico

JohnnyRico Member

Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and Gunstock Wax would make that body look fantastic

6. Drak

Drak Member

This is what you need to do:
    Troll around the interwebs until you find an experienced person that will hang with you.
    Ask them everything, follow their instructions to the letter, and thank them for their time.
    But do it all through PM's with One person. Not on an open forum.

Posting threads like this is pretty much certain disaster for you.
    Everyone has an opinion, everyone has advice, and it will all be confusing to you.
    Because you don't know who to believe and who not to.
    You may get a Tip of Pure Crystallized Finishing Gold from some old pro who's been doing it their entire lives.
    And have some 14 year old computer-nerd kid shoot it down...You Don't Know who to trust.
    And maybe they all work, but you will be left with nothing but confusion.
    You certainly will not get an outstanding project, guaranteed not to happen.
    You will be left with the remnants of the Least Common Denominator.
    I wouldn't want that.

TDPRI would be a great place to find a finishing mentor.

7. Cornholio

Cornholio Member

Thanks for the tip. I did take your advice and join over there. I totally forgot about them. I have done enough work on guitars, and have even done some painting, so I don't think this will be a disaster. I still prefer open forums, because you can get more ideas that maybe a knowledgeable person did not bring up. I have been on forums long enough to know how to sift out good and bad information and come to the best conclusion, so I am not sure I need to go with one person. I'd rather have more eyes on it as it moves along. :)

8. Dan40

Dan40 Supporting Member