Tele pickup advice

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hendrix2430, Apr 20, 2005.

1. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Hi, I'm doing a thinline project right now, and the body is black limba/black limba and the neck is mahogany/rosewood.

I'm looking for a bridge pickup that will help me get a fat and smooth tone with a thinline body. I am not looking for a traditional tele bridge or any weak pickup, especially with this thinline design. Nor am I looking for high output humbuckers and such, which would be even worse to me.
    Just a punchy, fat and clear pickup.

I'm looking for somewhere between an overwound single coil, and a low output humbucker (closer to the HB, though) in a regular tele bridge format.

I was thinking along the lines of:

-Rio Grande Stelly
    -Rio Grande Muy Grande
    -Duncan Quarter Pounder

am I on the right track? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the advice!

2. angelo

angelo Member

I feel like you are describing a p90 type pickup.....

or maybe I am just reading it that way because I am SO IMPRESSED with the HD Super 90 I put in my Mel Tele:D

It really does sound like what you are describing.

3. aeolian

aeolian Member

If you don't want it to get shrill, don't use a brass bridge. Steel is the only way to go. If you go for an overwound single coil, and it's not enough, you can add a steel plate to the bottom of the pickup to thicken it up some more.

4. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Thanks, the HD pickup looks great! That might just be the solution right there.

You're right P90ish is similar to what i'm looking for...

5. mainsale

mainsale Member

I have an American Thinline that I loaded some Joe Bardens into. It is simply MAGIC!

6. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

More love for Harmonic Design. The Super 90 sounds exactly like the desired tone you describe.

7. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I have a muy grande in a tele... it's fat, thick, and chewy... I think it's very much what you're looking for. I could also recommend an sk-90 tele bridge (steven kirsting basically winds a p-90 into a tele bridge pickup)... pretty similar, if not a little juicier than the muy grande...

8. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

check out peter florence's voodoo pickups. he makes a bottomless tele pickup which sounds like it would fit with what you are doing. email peter and he will tell you more about the pickups. i can not recommend his pickups enough

http://www.peterflorance.com/customTE.html

9. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

You also might want to try Lindy Fralin's Steel Pole pickups. I have a set in my Tele and they are great. A cross between a P-90 and a tele pickup.

10. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

I really dig the duncan quarter pound for tele. If you click on the Chief Beef link in my sig you can hear a few songs using that pickup in a japanese mutt tele. The guitar on the left is me, and the other guitarist used it for all the leads.

That said, I'm very new to the world of telecasters and don't have very much experience with other tele pickups.

11. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I just put a Fralin SP 43 in my alder tele to pair with a Cabronita neck pickup. I like it. Might be worth some study in your search.