Tele pickup choices...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by strings4v, Mar 10, 2015.

1. strings4v

strings4v Member

I have a butterscotch mexi tele with hot ceramic pickups. Guitar plays well but I don't particularly like the pickups. When I do complex chords with tensions I don't think pickups particularly track them well especially with a bit of drive. I'd like a new set that has better clarity with a bit brighter tone. Which pickups should I go with? Is it a good idea to use different kind of pickups and mix them? (ie. suhr T bridge + fender nocaster neck or something)
    I'd like to keep the cost not too high as the guitar itself isn't that expensive..
    With a tele, I'd like to get out tones of Keith Urban and Brad Paisley. Country but with a little rock/pop flavor. So maybe "plenty of twang bite but with enough balls to sound good distorted"
    Fender Original vintage, nocaster, and Bill Lawrence Keystones are the top 3 on my list

2. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Is it the ash Tele? If so, I have the same one. The Dimarzio Twang Kings sound exceptionally good in that guitar. I also tried the 51 Nocasters and Texas Specials before settling on the TKs, and there's no question it's the right set of pickups for that Tele.

3. strings4v

strings4v Member

Thanks for the feedback! Would you like to describe some of the changes that you saw on the guitar compared to the original?

4. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Broadcaster bridge, Lollar Special T set...

5. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I have a Duncan mini humbucker wired in parallel in the neck and Dimarzio Area T in the bridge in a 50's CV Tele.

That pickup combo along with getting rid of all the super thick poly on the neck & fretboard completely transformed that guitar for me.

6. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

7. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I have had a set of Florance Voodoo Broadcasters for the past 12 years in one of my guitars and have not felt the need to look elsewhere. The neck pickup is clear and articulate, the bridge pickup is forward without being too harsh.

8. Morgancograve

Morgancograve Member

Fender Original Vintage
    Cheap, awesome classic tele sound.
    They even get put in some custom shop teles.
    I couldn't be happier with mine.

9. alberob

alberob Member

Peter Florance TE-50 is my favorite.

10. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

I went through this not to long ago. Ended up installing a Dimarzio Area Hot T bridge and Area T neck. Like them more and more every day!

Don't know if it will help you or not, but here's my thread and all the suggestions I checked out:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1536395

11. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Sure. The neck Twang King is considered by many to be the ultimate Tele neck pickup. Richie Kotzen uses them exclusively. They have a stratty, full tone with just enough high end to really cut through the mix and sound great. Plus, they clean up beautifully with the volume knob. My favorite sound is to crank the gain and roll the volume off just enough to clean it up. It's beautiful.

As for the bridge, it's actually misnamed, I think. A 51 Nocaster is a lot twangier than the Twang King, but the Twang King covers a lot more ground without sacrificing that signature twang. It's hot and bright, but also full enough to be at home playing Green Day or Pearl Jam.

Compared to originals, which I actually liked quite a bit, the Twang Kings sound clearer, more articulate and cut better. With the sprayed in grounding on those FSR Teles, they're exceptionally quiet too. I swapped out the switch for a 4-way, and it's become my favorite Tele out of my five.

12. coldengray

coldengray Supporting Member

I put a set of Klein Epic 52's in my Tele project and LOVED them. Highly recommended.

13. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

I would email Tim at Bare Knuckle pickups. They make great stuff!

14. strings4v

strings4v Member

Since the OV set is mentioned.. I see a set of OV and Nocaster on sale on ebay with Nocaster set being 10 bucks more. both under $100. Which one..?

15. Cameronrati

Cameronrati Member

I just installed the Mojotone "twoface" bridge pickup in my tele http://www.mojotone.com/two-face-tele-bridge#.VQBTiPnF92Q I was looking for a pickup that could take heavy OD and possibly even jcm800 type vintage distortion but not metal. I also wanted great cleans and I still wanted it to sound like a telecaster, the twang had to be there. This pickup does EXACTLY THAT. Takes heavy od and distortion great. The low end sounds amazing. The clean twang is there, it still sounds like a vintage tele. Also the pickup is dead quiet.

16. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

17. cugel

cugel Member

duff plank'ster perhaps. Redd thinks so.

18. Zakko

Zakko Member

I'm really enjoying my Duncan Antiquity in the bridge position of my Squier CV 50s. Compared to my friend's stock CV, the Antiquity is far more throaty and retains its mature character and definition, even in high-gain settings and boost pedals. I also play 11s. Much more punch over twang.

19. strings4v

strings4v Member

ok better deal on nocaster and OV pickups.. i'm not sure which one to take

20. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Fender Texas Specials (for Teles) are Special!
    Have heard good things about the Twisted Tele pickups as well.

S.
    j