1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Tele Pickup Swap-Best P90/Humbucker/???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pale Rider, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

I am finally going to follow through with installing a Bigsby on my '86 MIJ '62 Tele RI-and I figure I might as well replace the pickups that seem to be fading-
    I just put a Fralin P-92 in a G&L Bluesboy at the neck, and I love it-
    (the bridge is a Harmonic Design '54) so what would you recommend as a standard Tele sized replacement?
    I tend to use the Neck pickup a lot (almost all the time), and I'm looking for great clarity there and in the bridge I like a darker sound-maybe a humbucker in a single coil? I really need something powerful and clear
    I have a Barden (bridge)in another Tele with a Bare Knuckle Pile Driver in the Neck which I like but I want this guitar to be a little different-I'm going, I guess for Neil Young's Old Black in a Tele body with no re-routing-
    Thanks for reading all this and thanks for your help.

2. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've got a Fralin Blues Special in this Tele and it mates well with the 8,000 turn P-92. It's fat sounding and hotter than standard but no too hot to lose that all important Tele Twang.

[​IMG]

3. Pale Rider

Powerful and clear in a standard Tele neck slot?
    go!

4. oscar100

oscar100 Member

p90 all teh way - lollar?

5. Pale Rider

Anyone know how bad the routing is?
    thre is n choice it seems-just hot rodded standard pickups?

6. Pale Rider

how about the best mini humbucker or firebird style?

7. studiodunn

studiodunn Silver Supporting Member

I'm gonna give a shout for the tonerider rocksong. Great, warm rolled back tone and thick and growly rolled up...and $35 [​IMG]