Tele pickup that sounds like a strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ktimken, Aug 16, 2006.

1. ktimken

ktimken Member

Wow...can't believe i just wrote that heading.

I know, get a strat....well, that probably won't happen...for many stupid reasons. :crazyguy

Anyway, I really dig the rubbery (i doubt I'll be able to explain it) or spongy clean sound of a strat that I hear occasionally and was wondering if any tele pickups can cop that sort of vibe.

Just checkin'.

Thanks,

Kyle

2. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Harmonic Design Mini-Strat neck pickup:

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/custom_shop.html

3. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I think what you are hearing is more to do with the strat body and the Trem. IMO

4. ktimken

ktimken Member

that makes sense to me, Jeff. there's something sort of "hollow" with the rubbery sound that particularly draws me to it.

thanks for the link thesedaze.

5. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

how about a strat pickup in the neck position?

A Hamel Tall Neck is a covered tele PU that is strat like.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The Harmonic Design will get you there.

Or

The Fralins Blues Specials Neck {uncovered}

I've owned both and both kill. The Fralin is great because the BS bridge pup works really well with the neck pup. I had a hard time finding a good balance with the HD.

7. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

+1. The wait for Hamels used to be pretty bad. Not sure what it's like nowdays.

8. tone4days

tone4days Member

call MJ in the seymour duncan custom shop ... she winds a custom 'tele a la strat' set that is killer ... leave her a message, she will call you back ... when you speak live with her, describe what you want and she tell you what she can do ... you won't be disappointed ...

alternately, call lew collins at lew guitars and talk to him about this ... he is a duncan dealer and very very knowledgable guy and knows all abotu the 'tele a la strat' ... he can facilitate the custom shop order if you decide to proceed too

good luck
    t4d

9. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

Lew is a great contact for this. I have dealt with him on a few occasions. You will not be disappointed.

10. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

couple weeks to a month, much better

11. ktimken

ktimken Member

Thanks for the replies. I've got suhr's in there now and will check on a couple of the suggested neck pups and see if they will mate up.

Thanks again.

12. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

I think what you are hearing is the out of phase sound produced by the combination of the middle pup with either the neck or bridge. That can be done by adding a middle pickup and various switching arrangements to allow for use of all pickups in any combo. I had this one made with two strat style pups, but you can just have the neck pup cavity routed out to fit the larger pup, or check out the Harmonic Design or Ducan eqivalent mentioned earlier. I think you will need that middle pup to get the "spongy" tone you are talking about though.

[​IMG]

By the way, the neck position is, at the moment, my favorite, much more oomph than a stock Tele pickup. These are from Budz Guitar, very nice pickups. "Purebred" neck and middle, "Mongrel" bridge.

Dan