Tele Pickups -- all around rock

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by m4tt, May 13, 2006.

1. m4tt

m4tt Member

Wondering what pickups I should throw in my custom telecaster for all-around rock application. I still want classic tele vibe though.

Thinking about fralin/lollar...

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Joe Barden is back in business. Maybe Kinman?

3. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Hamels or Stuart Blackguards are the ticket. Alan is still making them, Fred Stuarts are almost identical to Alan's.

You'll never get a good clean wit a hot pickup, but you can get great dirt with weaker ones. Turn the amp UP!

4. m4tt

m4tt Member

what's the deal with bardens?

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

www.joebarden.com

What do you mean what's the deal? What information you looking for? They are bright pickups, but man they'll make your guitar scream. I should get mine on Monday, looking forward to that again in the guitar.

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

When I bought my Tele, I was pissed that it was considerably lower output than my LP live. I bought a pair of the Fralins Blues Specials...they get a really great Tele tone that's nice and hot. Works great for rock...if you want Tele twang and sparkle, these are the pickups. Much hotter than any stock Fender pickups I've heard. I think I paid $150 for a set from Boston Guitar Works.

7. JamesO

JamesO Member

Van Zandt. I haven't heard much about them here, but they're what I have in my tele. You know it's a tele, but the neck is just a hair more dark than average. The bridge is very full and bright, but not bad bright.

8. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

+1 on the VanZandts. Not super high output, but a nice balance. Not as razor-like as a stock tele so it works a bit more for hard rock and blues. I can't remember which variation I got, 'cause it was ten years ago or more.

I've tried a few others like Bardens and Dimarzios but the VZs seemed more "lo-fi" to me so I stuck with 'em. The Duncan broadcaster was pretty close too. I might have even gone back to them but I was too lazy to change again and the VZs worked fine.

9. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I have aquired 2 teles in the last few weeks. One is a parts-o-caster that I had put together. The other is a custom job by Bruce Bennet. I had Vintage Vibe pickups put in both. The parts-o-caster has a set wound to vintage specs and the Bennet has a slighty overwound set. Both guitars have great tone without the spike in brain syndrome. The vintage set has nice twang and a woody spank. The overwound set is nice and throaty and can do great clean and dirty tones. I really like and appreciate Pete Biltoft pickups. Each set was about $125 which is amazing as they are all hand made and the quality is second to none.

Here's a link with some sound samples from his page:
    http://vintagevibeguitars.com/sound.htm

BTW, this are my first teles and I can see the addiction. My strats are getting lonely. I had tele shaped guitars before but they weren't tele configured. They had dual humbuckers. Shhhh, don't tell.

10. MrSage

MrSage Member

How do people feel about Texas Specials?

I know we're mostly talking about non-Fender pups here, but I'm interested to see if people like these.

Oh, and for my non-stock contribution, people seem to like the GFS Lil Puncher pickups. They're tele-sized humbuckers.

11. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

My favorite Tele bridge pickup for rock is the Suhr Broadcaster pickup. It gets the early ZZ Top tones I love so much, not to mention most any other old Tele tone you could imagine.

12. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

What pickups would you all recommend for a 90's Thinline Tele? To play rock of course.

13. Unburst

Unburst Member

I have a set in my Tele and I like them a lot, super versatile, enough grunt to get you into thicker rock tones, especially with the tone rolled off, and the neck pup is great, not Stratty at all (a good thing in a Tele, imo)

I've had Kinman, Barden and Lollar in that Tele and the Texas Specials are still my faves.

14. m4tt

m4tt Member

thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

I'm probably going to settle on either the fralin blues specials or the van zandts...

15. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

Second on the Suhr broadcaster bridge. Sold my Frailin and put the Suhr. Loved the Fralins (good stuff), but the Shur just screams. Neck pickup? Haven't come across many that are that good...probably best is the stock in my 51 NOS Tele.

Good luck!

16. JoeP

JoeP Member

Voodoo TE60's "wound hotter", for more of a rock tone.

17. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I have a set of the GVCG/Lollar sets in my Muddy Waters Telecaster. I wanted pickups that I could use for rock (Stones to Radiohead) without losing the ability to get the traditional Tele tone. Those pickups work great for what I wanted.
    http://www.songsofjonathanwilson.com/GVCGLollarAL3.htm

18. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

LOVE the SD Jerry Donohue (bridge only). A hair fatter and smoother than pure vintage, but still plenty 'o bite with that extra output. Very well balanced string to string as well. AC

19. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

The guys on the tele Forum have said that the Holy Grail of tele tone is a Dimarzio Twangmaster at the neck and the SD Jerry Donohie at the neck. I almost went with this combo before I decided on the Vintage Vibe.

20. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

No bad suggestions on this thread.

My main guitar has a Voodoo TE-60BL in it.

Pete is right: