Tele pickups either out-of-phase or noisy as ***

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by inselwissen, Feb 10, 2015.

1. inselwissen

inselwissen Member

I have this '69 style Thinline Telecaster (you know, the single coil one) and I've just received a GFS Surf 90 (neck version). The installation went smoothly, but the pickups ended up being out-of-phase in the middle position.
    Not a problem, I thought, I'll just switch the Surf 90's hot and ground leads, but then the middle and neck position hum like crazy. The hum intensifies whenever I touch the pickup, so I guess it's not properly grounded. Do I have to add a seperate ground lead for the Surf 90? If yes, where should it go?

My wiring is exactly like this. Sorry for the German descriptions:

[​IMG]

2. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

Are you sure the 2 pots are grounded together? Then the one pot to the bridge.

3. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Does the Surf 90 have the braided, Gibson style wire?
    If so... hook it up as the directions say and then reverse the wires on the Tele bridge pickup. Make sure the bottom plate of the Tele pickup is connected to the hot wire now--the new "ground" or better yet, just run a third wire from the bottom plate to the ground on the pot.

4. inselwissen

inselwissen Member

Volume goes to Tone, Tone goes to the bridge plate.

Yup, it's the braided wire. So you can't reverse the wires on the Surf 90?

Let's make sure I got it right:
    - Switch bridge pickup wires. (Ground wire to switch, hot to Tone pot)
    - Solder wire onto the bottom of the bridge pickup, connect to Tone pot

Or is the last point moot if there's already a ground wire going from the bottom of the bridge plate to the Tone?:confused:

Edit: Tried the above (bridge pup ground to switch, hot to Tone pot, ground wire from bridge plate to tone pot) and nothing, no sound at all in the bridge and middle positions.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  5. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Usually, there's a wire going from the ground lead/node/hole/whatever on the pickup to the bridge plate itself. Snip that wire.

6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Little jumper wires often connect the bridge pickup base plate to the black wire, and alternately, the neck cover to the black wire. Those jumpers need to be cut or swapped over to the white wire of the pickup you intend to reverse.

7. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Yes, this.

8. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Yes, the jumper wire needs to be reversed to the other lead on the pickup, or a 3rd ground wire added to the bottom plate.
    Reversing the polarity on a pickup wired with braided wire usually adds noise. The braided shield wire is designed to be on ground and reduce interference noise.

9. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

To be clear, this is either/or, not both. I believe OP has already grounded the baseplate, so yeah, snip the wire I mentioned earlier.

10. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

As stated above...this.

[​IMG]

11. inselwissen

inselwissen Member

Got it! I Just snipped the jumper wire and the guitar came back to life again.

I'll have to fiddle with the pickup heights a bit more, but this pickup seems to work quite well with an overwound tele bridge pickup. Super sweet jangly middle position and the neck position alone has a really cool gretschy vibe now. Definitely more open sounding than the Alnico II PAF that was in there before.

Thanks for the help!