Tele Pickups: Fralin Blues Specials vs. SD Antiquity I's???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jokerjkny, May 29, 2008.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hey all,

was wondering which pickup is darker and fatter? and how do you guys like either pickup set?

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Have the fralin blues specials, they are nice and dark not as fat as a p-90 if that is what your looking for.

I guess you just getting two pups for your tele, the bridge on my strat has a bass plate which really fattens up the tone, so you might want that on one of the pups.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

4. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

umm, your wife?

Sorry - I was having a Bueller flashback.

I haven't tried the Antiquity set, but I can tell you the Rio Grande Muy Grande set is way fatter than the Fralins. If that's what you really want...

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

out of the two choices darker and fatter = Antiquitiy 1's...great for soloing didn't care for the cleans...

I've had Fralins up the yin yang in both strats and teles and they always had this upper mid-bite that was both painful and fatiquing to my and everyone elses ears...

just to be sure I gave my Fralin loaded 78 tele to my buddy one night and walked into the audience to listen...they came out the next days and I sold all of em...YMMV!

Chow,
    Seegs

6. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I had an Antiquity 1 in the neck and agreed with the above statement. However, I got the Alnico V neck and matched it with the Alnico II Antiquity and love the set!!!

Jack

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

cool, can you describe the sounds a bit more?

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

any other opinions?

looking for a good compliment to a rather brite tele, and yet, would like nicer cleans. current pickups just feel rather bleh, with no life or meat to the overall tone.

9. richyirich

richyirich Member

How about Bare Knuckle tele pickups?

10. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Absolutely LOVE the Antiquity PAFs, but Antiquity single coils are probably the worst sounding pickups in the boutique market, both for Strat AND Tele. My last set stayed in for 5 minutes. 1 minute to double-check that something hadn't gone wrong with the amp, and 4 minutes of dreading that I had to take the guitar apart AGAIN.