Tele Pickups HELP!

Jven

Silver Supporting Member
So I'm looking to upgrade my Tele pickups to something different. I have the fender vintage noiseless set, and while they sound nice, I'm looking for a more "Tele" sound, if that makes any sence. My favorite Tele sound would be the Robben Ford sound, fat and warm but still twangy, any recommendations would really be appreciated.

jpervin

You just can't go wrong with a set of Duncan Antiquities! They have that Tele sound in spades, especially that bridge pickup! No ice pick though. Can't recommend them highly enough!

Dave1

There are many, many great sets out for tele. I'd look at the lollar vintage set or one of the many flavors that Don Mare offers for a replacement set.

Lewguitar

You just can't go wrong with a set of Duncan Antiquities! They have that Tele sound in spades, especially that bridge pickup! No ice pick though. Can't recommend them highly enough!
All of my Fenders or Fender Clones have either Lindy Fralins, Duncan Custom Shop or Duncan Antiquity pickups.

If you call Lindy he'll likely answer the phone.

If you call the Duncan Custom Shop MJ will likely answer the phone and she's Seymour's finest pickup winder. She wound all of the Duncan's I use.

MJ wound the pickups in Robben's Les Paul.

Last edited:

Jven

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys, checking some pickups right now. How about anything from fender? Like the '52, '58 and '64 sets? would any of those sets give me a close tone to RF?

wilddogmoon

Silver Supporting Member
Fender '51 Nocaster is a pretty fat Tele bridge pickup. Sounds great and doesn't cost a fortune.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
51 Nocaster set is good, as are the texas specials.
Don Mare SS Set or ElBlack Crowe bridge, S Telly neck are other favorites of mine.

Good vintage sounding tele pickups are good to have. Your right hand does more of the 'ford' thing than the pickups.

jonnytexas

I just picked up a set of SME pickups for a tele I built. Fantastic scatter wound pickups and reasonably priced. They check all your boxes.

Trending Topics