Tele pickups not as loud as Strat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by [J.K.], Feb 11, 2015.

1. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

Hey all, I just put together a Tele recently and was comparing its 7-8k pickups to my Strat's 6k pickups, and noticed that the Strat seems to be much louder. The Strat's pickups are even fairly low, but they really just seem to be more "there" than the Tele.
    Anyone have any quick advice on checking out why they seem so much weaker?

Cheers.

2. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Member

There's a lot more to "loudness" then just DC resistance. You also have to take inductance into account, as well as magnet type, and distance of the pickups from the strings.

What pickups are they?

3. Macleod

Macleod Member

Was typing up my reply when, apparently, this thread was moved...

If the Tele's bridge pickup was wound with 43awg wire instead of 42 awg wire like the Strat's, that could account for the reduction in volume.

A strat coil @ 6k has approximately 8000 turns of 42 awg wire. Wire tension will change this, though, so let's assume they're all tensioned similarly.

A 7k tele neck has around 7500 turns of 43awg.

A 43awg Tele coil has a close turn-to-ohm ratio. In other words, a 10k 43awg Tele has about 10,000 turns. If the Tele bridge = 7k, there should be around 7500 or so turns of 43awg, maybe less due to it's wider than neck pole spacing. Just an estimate, I don't wind my 43awg coils that low...

10,000 turns of 42awg on a Tele bridge is around 8-8.5k

The ohms isn't the important bit. If a 43 awg coil reading higher than a 42awg coil had much less turns of wire, the overall output will be less, given similar magnetic fields.

4. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

Heh, I was wondering if inductance would come up. It's so rarely published by builders.

The Strat in this case has a set of Bare Knuckle Mothers Milk pickups. They don't publish inductance, but the bridge come in at 6.5k, and neck and middle at 5.7k, according to them. 42AWG on the wire.
    The Tele has Bill Lawrence Keystones (apparently, someone clocked them in at: bridge 7.63k/3.20h; neck 7.98k/1.60h).