Tele pickups...singles vs hums vs...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MrSage, May 12, 2006.

1. MrSage

MrSage Member

What do you all prefer?

I always thought that a Tele should be two single coils, but lately some of the customs with neck humbuckers have looked pretty cool.

What are your opinions on tele pickups and/or wiring schemas?

I'd probably go with a 4-way switch if I got the two standard tele single coils...any thoughts?

2. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Three tele's one with two singles, one with two buckers, one with neck bucker and bridge single. Problem solved.

3. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

My first Tele has single coil pickups. My second one came with single coil pickups, but I turned it into a HB guitar. My main guitar is a bunch of Tele parts from various places, and it's always had DiMarzio PAFs.

The one I'm working on now will have a Kent Armstrong PAF in the neck position, and a GFS Hot Nashville Filtertron style HB in the bridge position.

And I'm busy collecting parts for a very traditional single coil Tele.

My HB Telecasters will out number my SC Telecasters.

I like them either way, but I'm starting to lean towards my SC Tele. It kind of helps that the GFS Tele pickups I installed recently are RW/RP.

Pete

4. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

Hey Pete, dont I recognize your name from somewhere else?
    Yeah, I love Teles - I'm so used to the feeling of that tele bridge under my right hand. However, for the kind of music we're playing now (kinda heavier, modern rock) I find that single coils dont give me the tone I'm looking for. I also dont want to route my nice Tele for a full size bridge humbucker. I decided to try a GFS Lil Puncher single-coil sized humbucker. I'm really happy with the results. I still get to play my Tele but I get more of the "over the top" kinda humbucker sound I was looking for. The other bonus is that I can go back to my Van Zandt single coils without too much bother.

5. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I'm my own evil twin.

I kind of missed this forum because it's kind of hard to talk about only Telecasters!

I was noticing the GFS Lil Puncher pickups and wondering how they were. There're a lot of situations where SC Tele pickups can be really inconvenient. And I don't twang much either!

The bridge GFS pickup that just showed up today is their "[FONT=arial, helvetica]Vintage Alnico 62" which should be a lot fatter sounding than the Repro 50s PU that I put in my older Tele. I plan to make enough changes that it'll be a much easier guitar to handle, but still a little bit much for the unannointed to handle.

Pete
    [/FONT]

6. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

My main Tele (gorgeous sunburst Jerry Donohue body, American Std neck with rosewood board, Callaham bridge and electronics) has two single coils out of a No Caster. My second Tele (reissue blue-floral body, Callaham bridge and electronics, ancient Warmoth "table leg with frets" huge maple-board neck) is about to lose it's Barden pickups in favor of.... well... there's the question... One thought - Fralin Blues bridge and Duncan Antiquity Humbucker in the neck, OR a Lollar setup - Lollar vintage bridge and Lollar Charlie Christian pickup in the neck (i'm completely open to opinions on this). For whatever reason that guitar has one sweet and fat tone acoustically, so ya just KNOW the with right pickups it will rule:dude .

Once Tele set up just won't do...:D

Peace,

jb

7. deepbluez

deepbluez Member

<< What do you all prefer? >>

Singles, here. "Testbed" tele has a SD Antiquity bridge - plenty of snap, snarl and twang - love it. Still searching for the neck - Fralin blues in there now is just a tad "hi fi" to my ear...use a std. 3-pos switch.

dpblz

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have an ASAT Classic Custom Semi-Hollow, overwound ASAT pup in the neck and ASAT Classic pup for the bridge. My main guitar is a parts-Tele with the Don Mare 2324 "Roy" neck and bridge. Very sweet vintage tones.

There's a ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow with a Duncan '59 neck and JB bridge and a tap switch here but it doesn't get any play time.

9. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Single coils only. I have a 4-way switch and that fourth sound is a usable one.

Buckers make the middle positions sound weird. Not Tele.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

A flatpole in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.

Now, THAT's a Tele... ;)

11. MrSage

MrSage Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...those Lil Punchers are supposed to be pretty sweet.

Is that in the bridge or the neck?

12. MrSage

MrSage Member

By the fourth sound, do you mean the neck and bridge in series? How does that sound? Is it 'bucker-ish?

13. MrSage

MrSage Member

Oh c'mon now...it's not fair to introduce that!!

:mad:

;)

Yeah, right now I'm trying to decide on my next guitar. I'm leaning towards a tele, but there's a part of me that wants P90s just for the hell of it...maybe even a Les Paul Junior or something...

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Two boards screwed together, pups of your choice...ignore the body shape.....the connections to a Tele are both fundamental and tenuous...where to draw the line????:horse

15. MrSage

MrSage Member

:confused:

I'm well aware that you can throw any pickups into any piece of wood.

I'm interested in people's opinions on which pickups to throw into tele-shaped pieces of wood, though.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The "problem" is that there are too many choices, especially if you include Strat pups that work well in Tele-ish gutars. The Lace Hot Gold works well for me in the neck position---low noise, low string pull but single coil character.

17. MrSage

MrSage Member

Yeah, but Strat pups are single coils...

There's another "which tele pickups" thread, but I'm actually asking at much more general level: single coils versus humbuckers. There are really only 4 choices there...

SC bridge, SC neck
    SC bridge, H neck
    H bridge, SC neck
    H bridge, H neck

Then someone threw in P90s, which would be rad, but I think I'll just end up with a separate p90 guitar.

I think I'm trying to decide between
    SC bridge/H neck
    and
    SC bridge/SC neck

Just looking for opinions...

18. LaXu

LaXu Member

I've never been a huge fan of teles with single coils (though I do like strats with single coils), but I absolutely love my Yamaha tele variant with humbuckers. Such a beefy, defined tone.

[​IMG]

19. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Not to my ears, just a fatter "Middle" position. I suppose some might call it that. I don't use that position that much but I do on occasion. It's worth it to have it available.

But I just don't think Teles with Buckers sound like a Tele. Each to their own, I guess.

20. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

You left out one of my favorites! Single bridge with minibucker in the neck. Bridges the gap, works better on the middle position than a full size bucker, and clearer on the neck only. One problem from running a SC bridge and hum neck is that you often have to set your amp differently for both pickups to sound their best. The minibucker is loser to a single and gets you to bucker land without the amp fiddling.