Tele Pickups that sound like Strat pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dspiffy, Apr 21, 2016.

1. dspiffy

dspiffy Member

Is there such thing as pickups that will fit in a Tele without modification and sound like Strat pickups? In a perfect world, they would be hotter than strat pickups as well.

I bought a 45th Anniversary Mad Cat which, unlike the Reissue Mad Cat, has Bill Lawrence T1 and T2 pickups. My original plan was to swap in S1/S3, but I dont want to cut the pickguard, it's far too pretty and I want any changes to be reversible.

I can find a lot of discussion about Strat pickups that sound like Tele pickups, but not the other way around.

Actually I wouldnt mind if they sounded between the two, and I assume if they are built like Tele pickups (size, brass plate) but wound like Strat pickups (what is the difference anyway) they will.

The thing I like the least about the Tele pickups in the Mad Cat is how much they feed back. The S1/S3 pickups dont feed back at all. But I would also like it to sound slightly more strat-ward.

2. JGD5150

JGD5150 Member

Fender Twisted Tele

3. denitronik

denitronik Member

I put a Lollar Royal-T neck pickup on my Tele. It's suppose to sound like a 60s Strat neck pickup (à la Hendrix).
    It comes very close but not quite. Still a very well done and great sounding pickup.
    I like it a lot!

slimdave likes this.
  4. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

You're going to get the same answers you got on the Duncan Forum.

There aren't any.

There's no market for a Tele size bridge pickup that sounds like a Strat bridge pickup.

There is a market for Tele size neck pickups that sound like a Strat and Fralin Blues Specials are my favorites.

Try a set of those.

5. dspiffy

dspiffy Member

I have an email into Fralin, as well as Rose and Cavalier!

Here is my comparison video: .

6. Mincer

Mincer Member

The Duncan Custom Shop can make a set, but there aren't any stock pickups that can do it. I don't think the idea is that popular, and there are a lot of Tele bridge pickups with EQ ranges all over the map, so you might find something. What characteristic are you looking for that you can't get with the Tele pickup?

7. dspiffy

dspiffy Member

Tele pickups are too harsh in the upper midrange, lacking in bass, and feed back badly in the bridge with gain. The last factor could be a defect.

8. dspiffy

dspiffy Member

I made this for my own purposes and to send to my tech, but I cant see any reason not to repost:

Here are the DCR readings of the existing pickups, taken from the output jack with the knobs maxed. Lindy Fralin says these readings should be ~200ohms higher because of the pots being in the circuit.

T1 5.11k
    T2 6.37k
    both 2.87k

S1 5.35k
    S3 6.74k
    both 3.01k

Pickup options, in no particular order:

- Modify the S3 to fit in the bridge, keep the T1 in the neck.
    Cost: $0 (or $45 if I buy a second S3 to keep in the Harley Benton)
    Requires a lot of extra labor and the metal plate from a dead Tele pickup (or I sacrifice the T2)
    Neck DCR: ~5k
    Bridge DCR: ~6.5k

-Modify the S3 to fit in the bridge, Harmonic Design Mini Strat in the neck
    Cost: $100 (or $145 if I buy a second S3 to keep in the Harley Benton)
    Requires a lot of extra labor and the metal plate from a dead Tele pickup (or I sacrifice the T3)
    Neck DCR: unknown
    Bridge DCR: ~6.5k

- Fender Twisted Tele pickups
    Cost: $160
    Neck pickup comes standard with the chrome cover (which I do not want)
    Neck DCR: 5.9k
    Bridge DCR: 10.4k

- Fralin Blues Specials or Stock Tele Pickups.
    Cost: $180
    Multiple people recommended the Blues Specials, Fralin himself thinks I'd like his stock Tele pickups better, but he's going to get back to me with more info. His stock neck comes with the chrome cover, which I do not want
    Neck DCR: 7k
    Bridge DCR 7k/6.6k

-McNelly Duckling Overwound (neck) and A5 Signature Bridge
    Cost: $205
    Bridge pickup would not look identical
    Bridge DCR: unknown

Dylanpickups custom made
    Cost: $180
    Dylan has watched my videos and seems to have a very accurate grasp of what I am looking for.
    Neck DCR: 5.9k
    Bridge DCR: 6.9k

GuitarFetish Pro Series 63
    Cost: $60
    Neck comes standard with chrome cover, which I do not want
    Neck DCR: 7.8k
    Bridge DCR: 7k or 7.8k

BareKnuckle Pickups Flat 52 neck and 55 Stagger bridge
    Cost: $150?
    They are in the UK. Neck pickup comes standard with chrome cover but they make it clear it is designed to be used without it as well.
    Neck DCR: 5k
    Bridge DCR: 6.8k

Cavalier Pickups Lioness neck with custom high turn count, counter-clockwise w/a5's, and Huge Lion bridge, clockwise north w/a5's
    Cost: $115
    He is willing to custom make whatever I need but these are his suggestions based on my requests
    Bridge DCR: 11.4k

Rose Pickups Bourbon neck and Alba or Aphrodite bridge
    Cost: $97
    Have not heard back from them yet, I am told they are behind and take a month or so to fill orders. Also told their pickups are comparable to those that cost 3-4 times the price. Without talking to them, do not know which bridge is closer.
    BRidge DCR: unknown

9. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Most well known "boutique" makers will do a strat flavoured neck pickup and some do a tele flavoured strat bridge pickup. The best neck pickup I've used is a Don Mare Stelly. Great mostly strat sound with a hint of tele. It's fat and juicy.

10. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I like the tele pickup equipped one the best. I don't think it makes much difference though. Both sounds get the job done and nobody but you will have an opinion when it comes to show time.

Dave Orban likes this.
  11. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

I'll agree with this, as long as you also change out the more traditional .047uf capacitor for a .022uf capacitor. I put a Twisted Tele neck pickup in several Teles, and noticed with the traditional .047uf value capacitor, that particular pickup didn't shine with the chimey sound that makes it a great Tele neck pickup. It sounded like I had the tone knob set on 7. Once I swapped in a .022uf capacitor (which is the same capacitor Fender currently uses in their American Standards with Twisted Tele pickups), I found these particular pickups really came to life and revealed the hints of "Stratyness" that reviewers commonly bring up when reviewing the neck pickup.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  12. dspiffy

dspiffy Member

In person, while recording that clip, the Tele equipped one was too harsh for rhythm. But I have a gig tonight, I'll be trying them both on stage. Be very different.

I think if the Tele one didnt have the feedback problem (around 19 minutes in) I would leave the stock pickups for a while. But that's just unusable.

13. dspiffy

dspiffy Member

I tried the DylanPickups and the Keystones. I'll post the Dylan stuff in it's own thread, here are the Keystone vids:

Everyone's comments on the Keystones have been accurate. I'll reiterate what I said in the videos:

They are the cleanest set of pickups I've tried in any guitar. Less hum, noise, microphonics, feedback, even than my Fender Noiseless pickups.

As many have said, they dont color the sound. They have no character of their own. You hear the character of the guitar. I liked that a lot, but in this case I wanted the pickups to add a little character, so for now I went with the Dylanpickups. I may have to buy another guitar just to use these in.