Tele pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by robertgordon, Feb 24, 2006.

1. robertgordon

robertgordon Active Member

Any recomendations on pickups to try in my relic tele? The stock ones are nice, but I feel like a change. I mainly play country and some blues. Nothing to hot.

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Get ready for more than a few replies.

There's a Roy Buchanan pickup thread you might want to check out. If you're unfamiliar with him, he was a monster of a player.

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

So many choices:

Try Fred Stuart Blackguards or GVCG/Lollar just for starters.

4. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Bardens, if you can find 'em or VanZandts.

I've used the VanZandts for over 15 years and I believe they are the best as far as bite, clarity and just mojo (whatever that is ;)).

Jet

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have a set of Barden's that are totally clean that I'd be willing to sell for the right price.

I have both Kinman tele pickups (Broadcasters and AVn 60s in separate guitars) and I love them. Barden's are also great. I don't have a ton of experience with other Tele pickups other than Lollar Specials which I hated, didn't feel they had any life in them and were the blandest pickup I've heard in a long time.

6. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

Lindy Fralin Blues Specials just like Brad Paisley. You will love them for country.

7. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

8. ES350

ES350 Member

The SD Broadcaster is a good choice for less $ (90% of the way for 50% less); the USA '52 RI rhythm pu is a pretty good match.

9. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

if you like fatter sounding tele pickups , try the bare knuckle "the boss" set. I have them in a mel and they are great.

10. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

90% of the way to what?

I'm intrigued by the Fralin Blues specials. Is the SD Broadcaster similar? It seems to be a slightly overwound vintage pickup, which is what the Fralin BS is. How close are they?

A

11. Falstaff

Falstaff Supporting Member

You'll get a ton of opinions, but two pickups that I could recommend are the Voodoo 60's and the OC Duff "Nancy."

12. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

:BEER Everyone's got an opinion and most are not afraid to share theirs... I haven't heard the Lollars but have heard great things about them. I have personally been very pleased with Fralin's pickups.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Unfortunately, I haven't tried any of the pickups that get the most mention here but enjoy reading the opinions of those who have. I like the Tele threads the most.

I have a parts Tele that I put a set of older Fender Original Series pups in and am happy with them.

I know there are better out there but I don't gig or record so changing pups, as much as I'd sometimes like to, isn't the best idea for me.

14. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

WCR Broadcaster set #1-the best Tele pickups I have ever heard-and I have heard a few...not for the faint of heart,Wags does Tele like he does PAF...GFM

15. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I just ordered a set Pete Biltoft's Vintage Vibe Tele pups last night. I asked that the bridge have a nice woody spank and the neck not be very muddy. If he was able to make sense of my ramblings, the man is a genius. I'm going to pop them in this tele in the making. I'll post a review once the guitar is fully assembled. It's going to be my beater to play while watching TV.

Ash body off e-bay.
    WD maple on maple neck
    Wilkenson tele bridge with compensated brass saddles from Guitar Fetish
    4 way prewired controls from acme guitar works

It should all come together in the next few weeks.

Here's the pic. The bridge pictured is not the one I am going to use for final assembly.

[​IMG]