Tele Pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PaulS2, Feb 18, 2008.

1. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

I've got a nice new '52 re-issue - plays great and sounds good too. I'm surprised at the value in these guitars for modest out-lay.

The pickups sound fine - maybe a touch hot for my taste and a bit bright. A good generic tele sound but I'm looking for more.

Some boutique pickup makers have managed to take an existing sound and sweeten it up considerably. I still remember the first time I tried a new set of Lollar Imperials - just a big Wow! In every guitar I have put them in.

That's what I am looking for in some pickups - a real sweetening of the classic tele sound....mostly clean with a little bit of break-up at times. Maybe slightly fatter than the '52 re-issues.

I've heard Fralin blues are nice though haven't heard any ....what do you guys recommend for the sweetest sounding pickups. I play both neck and bridge.

Thanks.

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've liked Fralins and Seymour Duncan Antiquites out of what I've tried so far, but my current favorites are from Don Mare, who posts on this board, from time to time. They are outstanding!

3. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

I had the same feelings as you did about my 52RI. Loved the guitar, nice pickups, but they just weren't exactly what I was after.

I got my hands on a set of Nocaster pickups, threw them in, and love it. I don't think you'd go wrong with a set of those, IMHO.

4. jhaines2992

jhaines2992 Member

I'm big fan of Fralins in teles. I also have a tele loaded with setup that ships in the twisted tele relics and am very pleased with those

5. cacibi

cacibi Member

Is there any reason you don't want to try the Lollar tele pickups?

I have the Vintage T bridge and Blackface Strat neck in one of my teles. Have another Vintage T bridge with low wind Imperial arriving today for another.

The Vintage T's are the best I've tried (and I've tried a lot) for contemporary output tele pickups. They're not true vintage - but they bridge the gap between vintage and some of the higher wind modern pickups. Very versatile pups IMHO.

The best 'boutique' tele pickups I've had are the Don Mares. He nails vintage, but has a wide range of output in his sets - also great to deal with. I'm sure if you email him with what you're looking for - he'll suggest something. Lots of flavors to choose from there.

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

WCR winds a couple varieties of tele sets but,they're hard to get a hold of,probably expensive.They sound like a vintage tele,and are shielded to death.

7. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I aked Wolfe wind me a Bitch bridge pu to put in my '52 thin skin RI.
    Highly recommended.
    www.wolfetone.com

8. teleman1952

teleman1952 Member

I have a 52 RI with Antiquitys in it. Excellent p'ups clean or overdriven. I can't recommend them enough.

9. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

Thanks everyone - lots of good suggestions.

10. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Try lowering the bridge pickup. If you like that, then lower the neck pickup by taking off the pickguard. This should mellow and fatten up things a little. If that doesn't work, try the Nocaster Custom Shop pickups. They're great.

11. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

http://www.curtisnovak.com

Sweetest Tele pickups I have played, including Lollar, Mare, Hamel, Nordstrand, Rio Grande and Fralin.

12. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Bite the bullet: WCR. they ain't cheap, but they are truly the best Tele PUs I've ever played/heard.

13. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I sure own my share of boutique pickups---Harmonic Design, Lollars, Fralins, Bardens.

However, do not overlook the Dimarzio Area and Virtual Vintage Tele pickups. Truly great sounding, very affordable AND noiseless. I'm a believer.

14. DBTele84

DBTele84 Member

Fred Stuart Black Guards. . .

15. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Mr. Fralin is a witch with tele pickups.

16. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

First: Call Don Mare

Second: Don't bother calling anyone else.

17. richey88

richey88 Member

Kent Armstrong are nice too for a lower budget. Mine ROCK in my Frankentele!!

18. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Lollar Vintage T's

19. ford

ford Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out Lollars and Fralins.. make a decision, and smile once they are in...

rock

bford

20. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

+1 on Don Mare--I have a killer set in my pinecaster--he's got some intuitive stuff going on. I also love Fralin Blues Specials--I've had them in several Teles and the really sound great.