Tele + Princeton + Keely Mod Boss Blues Driver

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DoctorBob, Feb 6, 2012.

1. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

I jammed out with a Venetto Blackguard into a Silverface Princeton. Nice tone, very clean. When I needed a bit of crunch, I engaged this Keely device-which I do not mean to dis-it it is noted for transparency; but I could not get a tone out of a stomp box that sounded as nice as just the guitar into the amp. Room was too small to turn up the amp for natural overdrive.Basically I guess I do not like stomp boxes and prefer a natural unscathed tone. Anyone else in this boat?I pretty much just played clean all day and avoided the box...

2. pigman

pigman Member

In that boat? I'm so far in that boat that it doesn't have an anchor. I don't want to be connected to anything! That said, I use only a tuner and an EQ when I need it. Otherwise, I've switched to mostly using a full-spectrum solid-state amp so the full tone of the guitar comes through. I'm not even crazy about the so-called "glassiness" of my Twin Reverb RI.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have a 66 Princeton (non-reverb) and it is clean clean clean. It sounds excellent with my lowly Route 66 OD pedal. Much like you'd think the amp would sound if it'd break up.

4. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

I'm getting more and more to the point that I prefer just my strat and my deluxe reverb. I spend a lot less time in the pedal section nowadays. The cleans just sound too good to mess it up with a pedal.

Though I wouldn't mind trying a Wampler 65 Black.

5. pbmw

pbmw Member

I've been spending less and less time with pedals too.
    My SFPR and a Tele works just fine for me.