Tele Project setback

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I've been working on a Tele body for a few weeks now and wanted to share with you some mistakes I've since learned from. The grain filler and sand and sealer went well. Even the initial color coat went pretty good. The mistake I made was not wet sanding between every couple clear coats. It required too much final sanding which eventually lead to the dreaded...

Sand through the color coat:jo

I could deal with the edges but not a spot on the front in a non relic wear spot. Uggh. So I sanded the body and re-shot the color coat, which made it look a little better and now I have to totally re-clear coat the body again. This time I'm going to LIGHTLY wet sand so the final coat will be reletively smooth.

This should only set me back a week or so. Boy is Nitro thin!

So it's not a relic yet but if I screw up this time I'm going to beat the living **** out of it and make Cunetto proud.

Oh yeah, the color is Reranch Butterscotch Blond.

[​IMG]

2. JonathanD

JonathanD Guest

sorry to hear about the setbacks, but that body is beautiful!

3. guitarlovero5

guitarlovero5 Member

Considering the set backs it is looking good!

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I am about to embark on another Tele project myself this time want to do my own finish .. so here is a question, how do you wet sand?

5. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

did you read the process outlined at "reranch 101" on www.reranch.com?

I've finished three guitars and one bass in the last few years, and have gotten pretty good at wetsanding. The trick is to be sure to use a sanding block (a small one), do small sections at a time, don't push too hard (let the sandpaper do the work) use all the grits specified, and to take your time! The longer you let the nitro cure before final sanding, the better it will look...

6. Tinman

Tinman Member

That body does look nice. It usually isn't necessary to wet sand until all clear coats have been applied and the finish has cured. Normally scuff sanding with dry paper is all that is needed between coats. Were you shooting the clear from a can? I guess I can see how canned lacquer might not flow out as smoothly. I always try to keep wet sanding to a minimum as sometimes the liquid you are using to wet the paper can get into places, like screw holes, and cause swelling. That can lead to worse headaches than sand-through.

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

It's looking pretty good in that pic Dave. Nice!

8. DamianP

DamianP Member

Never forget.
    The man who never made a mistake, never made anything.

Looks good.

,D.

9. george4908

george4908 Member

Been there, done that -- more than once. No substitute for experience on this stuff.

10. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

11. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I found out today that it wasn't entirely my fault. My repair guy told me that the Nirtro spray cans are loaded with thinner to get the **** to spray out of the tiny nozzle This makes the nitro ultra thin.

If you don't sand between every 3rd coat or so the orange peal builds up and makes it tuff for the final sanding. Increasing the risk of sand throughs.

Yes the key to wet sanding is letting the paper do the work and using a block.
    The most important thing is to be patient. It's easy to go too far trying for instant results.