Tele project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by pete692, Feb 22, 2009.

1. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Thinking of building a mahogony bodied one-pickup esquire style guitar with either a p-90 or a Barden pup. Possibly a bigsby. The neck is a goncalo alves. Anybody have experience with mahogony in a tele?

2. spartan warrior

spartan warrior Member

Hi,
    I’m a newcomer on this site so please bear this in mind whilst reading my comments. I apologise in advance if I should tread on anybodies toes.

Around 10 years ago I constructed a ‘Tele’ using mahogany for the body and maple for the one-piece neck. I equipped it with 2 Seymour Duncan Vintage P90’s and a 6 saddle solid brass bridge that I had left over from some experiments in the late 70’s.
    Fate was obviously smiling on me whilst I was working on this because it has the sweetest tone, which seems to combine all the good points of a humbucker and a single coil. It makes my normal rosewood board Tele (currently fitted with Seymour Duncan quarter pounder’s, but previously equipped with a Tonerider hot classic in the bridge) sound far too piercing (I think ice pick is the normal term used). It makes humbucker-equipped guitars sound far too thick and muddy.
    The dynamics provided by the combination of mahogany body, maple neck & P90’s are superb I can control the tone just by adjusting my playing technique and the volume control.
    I don’t know how much each of the components influences the overall tonal effect but it appears I struck it lucky this time.
    You frequently hear people raving on about how wonderful P90’s are and all I can say is that from my experience everything they say is true.
    You won’t get a sound like a traditional Tele but, if you are lucky like me, you will get a beautiful, musical tone that is full of feeling.
    I apologise if I have gone on a bit but like I said at the start I am a newcomer.

3. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

It's a dark sounding tonewood.
    P-90's sound a LOT different than bardens.
    Bardens are very unforgiving and will show how fantastic a picker you are or that you suck.They are hi fi sounding.
    P-90's have character. They can sound sweet or rude.
    I love 'em.

JJ