Tele PUP for Robben Ford

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrisr0712, Oct 6, 2008.

1. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

I want a replacement Pup for my 52ri Tele (stock pups) and am in love with Robben's early 60's tele sounds. I've read (not sure if true) that one of his pickups was rewound by Fralin. Any clue which set would get me there...or close?

Thanks!

2. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Sorry not to answer specifically to your question, but what hit me when I see your gear list is not the guitar and its pickups. It's on the other side of the chain (besides fingers of course !) : the amp.

In order to achieve some Robben tone, you need something to fatten, to "cremify" your signal, especially with single coil pickups. I think you've got the right tools, only your amps make me doubt any pup change will help. Of course a HB or miniHB as neck pickup and a Lollar special as bridge pup will help, but definitely something more "Dumblesque" will help more !

Usually I say tone is 1/3 the fingers 1/3 the guitar and 1/3 the amp and 100% the player ! But with Mr Ford I'd say it's mainly the man and the amp, the guitar and the pickups are only a small part of the equation !

I may be wrong, of course !

3. billy budapest

billy budapest Supporting Member

One somewhat under-celebrated choice that might get you there is the Seymour Duncan Five-Two for Tele. Alnico V on the three low strings, Alnico II on the three high ones. Warm and smooth across the board. Also it's RW/RP for hum cancelling.

bb

4. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Ive got a Peter Florence Voodoo 60's in the bridge of mine.
    www.voodoopickups.com
    It may be overwound a bit.
    Gives it a really nice Robben-style tone when played into a Fender

[​IMG]

5. CHyde

CHyde Member

When I saw him in Oklahoma City a couple years ago he was playing a couple of Twins, if I remember right, instead of his Dumble. He was also switching between a 335 & his Tele. He sounded wonderfull!

6. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Very valid points. The BarbEQ does help to give the amps a Blackfacing base. I do wonder if the $ is better spent on pickups or a Zen/GSR type unit instead.
    Thanks!

7. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Last time I heard him was in Byron Bay Blues Fest (yep down under !), with Larry Carlton. They both were using a Dumble head with some sort of a 2X12 or 4x12 cabinet. Robben was playing his Sakashta guitar :
    [​IMG].
    Wonderful concert by the way !

Also : read that interesting interview !

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008