tele pups for taming highs.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by robertgordon, Jun 5, 2008.

1. robertgordon

robertgordon Active Member

i am running a nocaster into a voc cc30. if i remember correctly, a pup with alnico II magnets would do the trick, but i have not tried them in a while. i am back to the stock ones at the moment, and am trying to ease up on the very high end. thank you for any help!

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

Add some "CUT" from your amp..... That's what I do on my Top Hat & I like the Antiquity's in my Tele.

3. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, a Barden would sound good. Just enough pop and less icepick top end.

4. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Linday Fralin Blues Specials are also a good choice..... "almost" vintage specs, but with a slight top end roll off and more bass and mids added

5. woof*

woof* Member

tele's are alot different to play.. compared to strats or other guitars. learn to use the tone knob. leave it around half way up and force yourself to play that way awhile until you get used to it, then add more treble as needed. the trebly-icepick sound that tele's are known for... is mostly caused by leaving the tone knob wide open.... like you would with another type of guitar. most new tele players are not aware of how the tone knob is so interactive. play around with this concept before you start swappin pickups and modding the guitar. you will be seriously surprised how much this makes a difference with a tele.

6. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Knob twirling with a tele is part of the fun because of all the different nuances of tone you can get. :dude

But, putting in a Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge pickup (slightly overwound AlNiCo II) and the AlNiCo II Pro neck pickup goes a long way to having a clear, responsive tele tone sans icepick.

7. Stubee

Stubee Member

+1 tone knob for the Tele bridge pup. Huge difference & infinite possibilities with a decent "stock" Fender bridge pup (OV, NC, etc.)

8. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I use Lollar vintage staggered and they are killer, fat yet twangy with no icepick (into a SFDR w/C. Rex). Tone knob wide open!

Of course the amp/speaker combination comes into play with respect to the icepick too...

9. pjwill

pjwill Silver Supporting Member

While I know that many Tele players like Vox amps and other EL84 Vox style amps....I find them just too brittle for me with my teles, even after adjusting the amps cut control and working the Tele's tone knob.....just not my thing.

All of my EL84 amps are gone know, and I have found my place with 6V6 based Fender amps. Maybe the EL84 Vox circuit is note for you?

10. tone slave

tone slave Member

I'm having a lot of lluck with the Harmonic Design S90, although it is more of a P90 pickup so it doesnt sound exactly like a vintage tele bridge pickup. But the icepick highs (at the time through a marshall amp) and low output compared to my PRS (which at the time had humbuckers) made me hunt for a new pickup and I have loved the S90 ever since-- to me it still sounds like a tele, just one with a steroid problem.:dude

11. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Fred Stuart Lap Wrap. A little more output, a little less highs but still has the Tele sound.

12. robertgordon

robertgordon Active Member

thanks for all of the great ideas. teles have been my #1 guitars for years, so i am well aware of the controls. ;) the JD with alnico IIs seems to be what i am looking for!

:dude

13. mbetter

mbetter Member

Q: How many Telecaster players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Why bother? It's WAY too bright already!

14. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Well, just to add my $.02, I have the Callaham spec Fralins in my tele...whatever George is doing seems to be working for me (you mean your pickups aren't cryogenically treated?). I also can't say enough good things about Don Mare's pickups...the most authentic stuff I've seen/heard and Don can customize just about anything.

15. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Lollar Vintage or special is far from icy. Check the cap to. A .022 will give a bit more of that. .047 Orange Drop is perfect.

16. Dion

Dion Supporting Member

+1 for Don's pickups, just loving them!

17. DonM

DonM Member

While working with Dale at Glendale Guitars - I found out those Texas Pickers he runs with wanted the treble out of the Tele too..
    It takes nothing less then a 8k wire 42 ( Not 43) to get the job done!

the wire 43- Broadcasters are VERY Bright! even at 10K - I make an 11.5k its a tricky balance - but its still has Bright highs..

you need a 8k wire 43 pup if your wanting the treble and that tele ring and ping to tone-down..

check out Billy Gibbons @ NAMM 2008 using a Black Esquire with a Seymour D, "BG1400" ($145.00 from Seymour's Custom shop & worth IT!) its 30k stacked humbucker - but its like a 15k Broadcaster,
    I used that clip at youtube to help dial in the 8k pup I just introduced -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcvd8h0YqrM
    pull the fast forward video clip slider over at least a 3rd. of the way across -. -- so you get past the talking -and on to the picking!-

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008