Tele pups for that R. Ford tone...ideas please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JohnK24, Jun 16, 2005.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I currently have a nice set of OC Duff 7k alnico 5 tele pups, but I'm guessing Robben Ford's tele has higher output pups (I know they are stock).

I've read Lollar's Specials are close ? I can tell the neck pup on his tele is pretty hot and bright.

Ideas gang ?

Thanks,

John

2. aeolian

aeolian Member

Listen to the end of MD Blues on the Jing Chi Live album. There's a point where the guitar gets really shrill and thin. That's what Robben's Tele sounds like when he's not doing the things he normally does with his hands.

The bridge was rewound by Lindy Fralin to stock specs. No attempt to make it on the hot side of stock. Maybe some searching the RF forum or a letter to Daved Kohls could turn up the impedance figures.

3. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Well, okay then....I guess it's just the continuation of "tone IS in the fingers !!!" ;)

Thanks,

J

4. aeolian

aeolian Member

I didn't mean to start that debate, just to point out that it's highly unlikely to cop Robben's Tele tone my matching the output of his pickups due to his somewhat unique playing technique.

Mike at Tone Gurus has an ash Tele that for him really does the Jing Chi kind of tone.

I have a Fender Texas Special in my AS Tele along with a Callaham bridge. Here's a clip over a backing track from a GIT class that Robben did. The first second of playing is Robben's Tele though I have no idea what kind of amp. The rest is my Tele though a Fuchs ODS 100 and 2 Celestion 65s. Most of the clean playing is on the middle position for that very thin clear sound. Most of the OD playing is on the bridge. The heavier OD parts are the middle, none of it is the neck alone.

YMMV

http://stevekirbymusic.com/Musicdownloads/Dejamastered.mp3

5. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

You lookin' to sell those OC Duff pickups? :p

6. artandink

artandink Member

Sounds like Deja Vu from the "Ultimate Blues Jam Along." Have you worked on any other cuts?

Good Job :dude

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

I've only seen RF once and jis Tele did not sound like it had hot pups to me.
    It was positively wimpy next to his HB equipped Baker.

8. fig

fig Member

I have Bill Lawrence pu's in my Tele and love them. They don't sound thin at all.
    The only thing about his neck pickup is that it's a tad bigger than normal, so you can't put a cover on it. But if tone is more important, then check out Bill's pu's.

Here is a clip of my Tele pu to give you an idea . .

Tele neck

9. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Nice phrasing, nice tone.

10. fig

fig Member

Thank you, ringmod. :)