tele PU's again

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doublee, Jan 15, 2008.

1. doublee

doublee Member

How come I dont hear much about Lollar anymore on TGP? And Bardens for that matter?

2. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I love my Bardens. I've got them in my twisted tele with a 4 way.

3. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

I never found much love for Barden's here. On TDPRI there are some fans.
    Whenever I have taken mine out they go right back in the same day.

4. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Among the threads that received at least one comment today, it looks like there's a couple dozen that mention Lollar. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/search.php?searchid=5487657

Maybe the Great New Discovery spike is gone, but a lot of folks are still pretty keen on them, including me. I have a Tele with a Charlie Christian blade and a Tele special from Lollar, and they make me happy.

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

If you really like the Bardens or Lollars I wouldn't worry about what you read here....

6. doublee

doublee Member

Well wether I like them or REALLY like them is hard to say, who can remember exactly the sound of the last PU's you put in? I guess I am looking for strong opinions from those familiar. I am def after tele twang and get it from the Lollar bridge pu but then again I havnt tried too may others. Curiously I found a tape I made years ago with the orig tele '52 RI PU's and it sounded pretty dang good, the PU's....not my playing.

e

7. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

Bardens here, for sure.
    They spoil me for any other pickups, especially in clubs with flourescent lighting or lousy AC. Really drive the front end of an amp, too!

-db

8. teleman1

teleman1 Member

Know what? Its really hard to beat Duncan Antiquities in a Tele. My lollars sound very hif fi in the P-90's

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have a Lentz Tele and those pickups are killer. I also have a Gigliotti with Bardens...wow!!! Killer sustain, no noise, nice bite with a good low mid fundamental.

I have a Suhr Esquire coming with a Suhr Broadcaster pickup, so we'll see how that sounds. I also have an Old World with a Budz pickup that Sean said is more like a P90.

10. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Duncan Antiquities for me too. Love them! I wish I could get that tone without the buzz. Haven't tried the Dimarzio noiseless stuff yet. Is it in the ballpark?
    I heard Harry J's demo clip but hard to tell with him. He sounds great with everything. Anyone have any info?

Chuck

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

I used to speak about Lollars and other pups a lot when I was searching for the right pups...I have em in my tele and strat and now I just play em...

Chow,
    Seegs

12. roadscholar

roadscholar Member

Van Zandt True Vintage

Antiquity's are killer too.

13. gratay

gratay Member

one you hear even less about is Fred Stuart Blackguards....if your after some of the best qualities of 50's vintage tele tone

14. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Bardens are fantastic!

15. dyna

dyna Member

I´m searching for a semi-microphonic bridge pick-up.
    The "broadcaster" in my Baja Tele is kind of one-dimensional.
    I want that sound when you tap on the control-plate you know?
    Some klang?
    I hear some winders put the baseplate on after potting like
    Fender jused to do. Of course this is no rocket science - more
    of a hitandmiss thing I guess. Many new pickups are to well behaved to me.
    Maybe they are optimized to work with high gain amps?
    I hear Van Zandt true vintage should be a rather lively pickup?

16. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

I'm having a "Keef" Tele done by K-line and he will be putting Lollars in it. I've heard many good things about them on this forum and some other forums also.

17. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

I like the bardens, they ring , sing and all that..BUT I cant stand the big volume difference between the neck and bridge p'ups...
    the neck pickup is over powering, to me thats not right.

I've built 3 custom teles for guys over the past 7 years... all had to have bardens... all yanked the bridge pickup out after about 2 months of fighting with them...we were told by barden to add some kind of trim pot to solve this, but seems this is a design flaw more than anything.

I do like the duncan antiquity, and used the stock broadcaster lead for many years..today theyre a little too edgey for me.

try the armstrongs.... I honestly thought I'd yank them out of my '96 custom shop charvel tele w/tele headstock as soon as it arrived.

whether through my vintage marshalls or my fender VK's & supers they are simply the best sounding tele pickups I've run to date.
    I'm no longer hankering or fighting for another sound.

18. KRosser

KRosser Member

OK then...

I love Lollar's HBers and P-90's but not his Tele or Strat pickups as much, though I certainly wouldn't call them bad. I just prefer others

As far as Tele/Strat pickups, I'm a Lindy Fralin guy all the way....and I don't think his HBers and P90's feel as good as Lollar's.

YMMV

19. Mike T

Mike T Member

Bardens do it for me. Absolutley love em. No complaints whatsoever, for whatever the gig calls for. Mellow, screamin, funk, twang, whatever. Can't vouch for the volume difference peedenmark7 talks about though. Maybe a pickup height adjustment?.... But I just can't stand the hum of single coils.

20. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

nope, pickup heights were correct.. the neck pickup is just stronger.
    unless this is something that they've corrected in the past 2-3 years.., but we were told to use a mini trim pot in the control cavity to roll off the neck pickup to blend them better...
    granted I liked the way it sounded when the 2 pickups were combined, the neck pickup alone was simply fantastic..

but the bridge pickup "at that time" was extremely wimpy to me and the guys that I built the guitars for asked that I take them out..

I dont care for that single coil noise either... but I do like the twang those pickups naturally produce, that dual rail, bladed pickups seem to fall short of.

it is really personal taste....
    I remember being asked in the mid '80s to put an emg tele set into a tokai '52 tele knockoff and man that guitar sounded fantastic !!