Tele pu's Hamels vs. Stuarts

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Seegs, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

Since they used to work together and are now on their own can anyone speak to the similarty or differences of the Alan Hamel Tele pu's vs the Fred Stuart Blackguard tele pu's??

Are Hamels also considered Blackguards and what exactly does that mean??

How would either of these compare tonally using the Fender Nocasters as a reference??

the tele these will be going in is alder body with a maple/Rw neck but will be getting an all maple boatneck after the first of the year and has Callaham hardware!!

Chow,
    Seegs

2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I've tried both the Hamels and Fred Stuarts on some Ash Body Tele's And I think they sound Basically the Same.
    The Only difference being the Bridge Pickups were different in reguard of one being Flatpole and One being Staggard Poles.
    The Blackguard I belive is in Reference to the Black Pickguards on the early Nacasters and Tele's.
    Here is a GVCG with the Hamel BlackGuards.
    [​IMG]

3. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanks for the info...I kinda figured that since they worked togehter maybe they might have shared a few secrets...

btw...very tasty looking guitar did you replace the stock GVGG/Lollars with the Hamels and how did it improve the tone??

Chow,
    Seegs

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

You'll find a wealth of opinions on this subject at the TDPRI's pup page.

http://www.tdpri.com/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=805880a70310b74473b1c921c0d72793

It may well be a moot point since Hamel's are practically "unobtainium" right now.
    I asked to be put on the waiting list months ago and have heard nothing since, I was quoted two weeks for a set of Stewart's Blackguards.

"Blackguard" is a nickname for early '50's Tele's that had black pickguards, both Hamel and Stewart are going for that early "Blackguard" tone though Hamel also makes a "Tall" neck pup which is hotter.

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanks UB...I've done some reading and have decided to go with a set of Fred Stuarts as I cannot tell if their is a difference plus they're easier to obtain and Jason Allen is super nice and really quick to reply...besides I like taking an educated chance now and again...

For the life of me I cannot understand why Hamel has a backlog and Stuarts are readily avalible and cheaper!!

Chow,
    Seegs

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I owned a pair when they were both making them, although I think it was mostly Alan's ballgame at that point. But they both signed the spec sheet.
    Nonetheless, I feel that this pickup is the one to beat:
    GVCG/Jason Lollar Staggered Alnico 3 pickups
    Not a flatpole but insanely good.

7. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

That GVCG Tele came with the Hamel Blackguards as reccomended by Jonathon Wilson.
    A good friend also has a GVCG Tele with the Fred Stuarts. It is Basically the Exact smae Guitar But a Different Color. In a side by Side Comparrison The Neck Pickups Sounded Identical to me. The Bridges Sounded Slightly different Because My Friends Tele was a 55 Flatpole and Mine is a 57 Staggared pole. The difference there was also Minimal. The Flatpole ws a tad Brighter and the Staggered had a bit more Smoothness.
    Overall They are Killer - Vintage Sounding Pickups. Among the Best I have Heard. I Also Have a set of the Lollars Alnico 3 and they are Also very Good Sounding. And the other is Peter Florance Voodoo. I have a set of those - and They are Also Incredible Sounding.
    If your looking for Vintage smarm and Chime these are the best that I have Heard.

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanks SHZ & RR...can I ask what you like about this pu as compared to the A&F or Hamels or Stuarts (which seem to be the same or at least really similar)??

I must say after doing some more reading I am a bit concerned with microphonics and the Stuarts...it seems to be part of the diehard tele tonal recipe but I am not a traditional tele player and use it for Blues - RnB and Rock so sometimes I use gain...

Secondly what kind of amps and music do you use these pu's for??

Chow,
    Seegs

9. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Both pickups are a bit microphonic, as they are designed to replicate the sound of an early '50s pickup and they were all microphonic. That was one of the secrets to the sound. If you don't want any microphonics, you don't want the early '50s sound because you can't have one without the other. Nothing wrong with not wanting microphonics, but you can't have that early '50s sound without it.

I have no experience with the Stuarts, but I have three guitars with Hamels in it (Tele, Esquire, Strat) and they are the best sounding single coils I've ever heard. That's not to say i've heard 'em ALL, because I haven't, but I've heard a lot of them and these kill everything I've heard. They sound like Bill Hullett's Nocaster (Now Nacho's Nocaster) , and I have played that.

I play blues, country, R&B, rock and roll and even a little Jazz (Teles do jazz well) with a 5E3 knockoff built by Clay Hullett in Nashville. It just don't get no better'n that.

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanx PB...if you crank a 5E3 it can get pretty gainy right...I've played a Vicky 5E3 with a Celestion Blue and it was a very gainy amp...but that is also more of the type of gain that I am referring to...and yes I love the early telly tones and I know a bit of squeel is essential to that particular tele tone I am just trying to determine how easily these type of pu's are driven to squeel...

I have a Fargen Dual Classic and it's half tweed and half blackface my two favourite tones...

I don't mean high gain metal type of gain but I will sometimes drive the front end of my amp with a Klon or use various od pedals for flavour...

95% of the time I play clean and sometimes with my amp at 75% volumn...

would these type of pickups squeal under these circumstances...meaning with OD/Boost pedals or cranked amps??

Chow,
    Seegs

11. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I have a Few Different Old Fender Amps to Chose From. Personally the Blackface
    Deluxe Reverb and the Vibrolux are my Current Fav's for Tele's.
    I Use a Chandler Tube Overdrive to Get That Smooth Overdrive.
    [​IMG]

12. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I've recorded with the amp on 10 (OUT OF 12!!!), fairly close to the speaker and never had a problem. I suspect if you're CLOSE to the amp and you drive the front end hard you can get it but I've rarely had a problem with microphonics in these pickups. I know it's there because I can hear the "click" through the amp when I switch pickups and there's no other sound to mask it, but it's never been a problem for me. One way to reduce microphonics without messing with potting is to use surgical tubing instead of springs on the pickup mounting screws under the bridge. Alan sent tubing with the pups so that's what I used. If you use springs (some do) it will squeal like a banshee at high gain levels but if you use tubing, it probably won't.

On gigs, I rarely turn the amp past 5 (after 5 it doesn't get any louder, it just gets more overdriven and compressed) and I use a FD2 for gain. I also use a Fat Boost on the Strat and even with that and the FD2, it doesn't squeal.

If you have other questions, let me know. Always glad to spread the gospel of good Teles and Hamels. :)

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanx again PB thats great info. and exactly what I was hoping to hear...

I also have a 64 Deluxe and although it doesn't compare to RR's amp showroom I am pretty happy amp wise!!

Too many amp choices would be a death sentence for me;)

I think I will be going with the Stuart's instead of the Hamels though as I have already been in contact with Jason Allen!!

Chow,
    Seegs

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

Well just to follow up...after a bunch of reading and pondering I decided to give a set of the GVCG/Lollars staggered Al3's a shot...it was a combination of things mostly being the microphoic nature of the BG style pickups and also the fact that it is really inconvientient to get the money to VVG from overseas...wiretransfers cost 25% of the pickups and are out of the question and Western Union is far away and hard for me to get to so I Paypal'd GVCG my money and am hoping for the best...they also sound really promising and have got me excited to get them!!

Chow,
    Seegs

15. stekks

stekks Member

Hope you get them before the 21st Seegs. I've been eyeballing the GVCGs too!

16. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    CRIKEY! :eek: :D

17. Seegs

Seegs Member

Me too...I need to get to the bottom of the pickup swapping madness...I'm hoping these are it...just to compare I have a set of Suhrs also on the way!!

21st here we come!!

Chow,
    Seegs

18. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Just to add another opinion-

I recently bought a GVCG that had the GVCG/ Lollars and was SO knocked out that I immediately ordered them for my orig 70s tele as well !!

I've had several pairs of Hamels - never Stuarts tho - and IMHO, the GVCGs are the ones to beat

19. Seegs

Seegs Member

Cool DOC...I'm looking forward to trying them as that seems to be an ever incresing opinion...

Chow,
    Seegs

20. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Dano-

Have you tried the Hamel Broadcaster Bridge and Tall Neck? How would you compare those with the Lollar GVCG's?

Thanks!!