Tele question - humbucker in neck position

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Eskimo_Joe, May 3, 2015.

1. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I've never had a tele with a humbucker in the neck position. For you guys that have, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Compared to a normal tele pickup configuration, do you find yourself using the neck and middle positions more, less, or about as often?

Thanks!

2. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

More, if anything. It'a a US Fat Tele with 5 way switching, so I can combine either full or split h/b with the bridge. It'd be interesting to try it with something more TV jones than PAF.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

SO FAR, not a big fan of a humbucker in the neck pup of a tele. the cap values are never right when balancing with a single coil vintage style bridge, to my ears. but most of all i don't like the middle position and i really feel the low winds are mushy at the neck pup.

i think p90's are excellent, and love fitertrons - although filtertron have less bass on the lows. but they sound great and they compress in such a beautiful way.

i'm putting in a CC in the neck of my nocaster and hoping i'll dig it. i think i will based on the big, clear low end i've heard from other peoples tele equipped with a CC neck.

lots of different humbuckers out there, and i'm sure there are some winds that are perfect. but the few vintage style hums i've tried in tele's just never hit the sweet spot for me.

4. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i like a 4 way switch better than a neck humbucker. I feel you lose the middle position with the 'bucker.

5. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I did this for a while with mixed feelings about it. It's impossible to make the two blend well together; I even tried going to a hotter, fatter bridge pup wired to the tone, paired with a low output bright humbucker wired wide open in the neck and they still were a bear to balance. I ended up never using them both at the same time, but using them for different things. I would use the bridge alone for standard tele tones, and then I used the neck for jazz and big mellow clean tones.

6. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I had one years ago and just ordered one from Wildwood. If you're inclined, they have Greg Koch demoing a lot of them on their site and on YouTube so you can get a pretty good handle on how they sound.

I play (lately) more southern rock for the moneygig so this is a good setup IMO. A regular tele neck pup doesn't work too well for me unless I am at home.

I also have a Suhr s-type with a bridge humbucker, FWIW. I don't have any issues balancing that one.

7. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I put a Gibson 490R in the neck of my HWY 1 and a Harmonic Design P-90 in the bridge. I play vintage amps ('66 Pro Reverb, '76 JMP) and regular single coils just don't push them hard enough. The humbucker provides a beefiness that a single coil can't, and the P-90 provides bite and grit. If I want more of a classic Tele twang I use the bridge pickup and roll back off the volume. But I usually play the middle position with both pickups on so I get the big sound of the humbucker blended with the aggressive attack of the P-90.

[​IMG]

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Make it a mini-humbucker and everything lines up really well.

9. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I love the HB in a neck of a tele. I've had a few and like the Duncan '59 in an ash body. You an use it w/ the bridge (Fender CS Nocaster in my case) or alone. By itself, at least in my experience, it does a nice job of doing the Gibson neck HB sound.

Here are my two (no longer own the blackguard but wish I did). Both have the same pickup set.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I have been through a few different neck humbuckers in my Fender relic Tele. My favorite is the Lollar El Rayo. Blows away the Duncan '59 that came in the guitar. Balances nicely with the bridge pickup, and has more clarity than the Duncan. Add a coil tap and get fantastic single coil and middle position tones. Really digging that pickup.

11. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Unfortunately - not the best sounding -I have to figure it out why this is not sounding as well as it should - the neck Pup is an Antiquity and I know they sound great
    and the bridge is a great pup too . . . hm?!

12. janman

janman Member

I own a bunch of Teles and rarely use the neck pickup. I put a Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck on my Classic Series 50's Tele. Now I use it a lot in combination with the bridge as well as alone. The neck HB gives you that creamy tone by itself and when used in combination with the bridge they have a unique tone. Kind of like a guy with a Tele and a guy with a Les Paul playing together (naturally). I also added a coil split activated by the tone knob.

13. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I wholeheartedly agree. I've got a Fender '52 Hot Rod tele with the Duncan minibucker in the neck and it's a monster. You need a bit hotter bridge pickup for it to work, and I think the pots are different (375K?). But I'm reaching for this tele more than the one I have with a standard setup.

14. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I actually like the sound of a stock Tele neck pickup.

I've had humbuckers in two different guitars. They don't balance as well when going from position one to three, and this is my biggest beef.

Pot values don't give the ideal sound either.

15. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I opted for a FilterTron type neck. Pulled from a Cabronita.
    Using a .022uF cap.
    The biggest adjustment is the fact that sometimes the right choice for a solo boost is to switch to the neck pickup. Normally, on a straight forward tele, the neck pickup is almost always lower output, so switching to bridge is natural for a solo tone/boost.
    With the right humbucker, it is more likely to be a balance of volume between neck and middle.

[​IMG]

16. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

I LOVE MINE!

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I appreciate the feedback you guys!

18. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'm dying to try a CC style.
    my main tele has as seth lover (but with an A5 magnet) the mag changed seemed to help.

I don't use inbetween much though.

19. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I do like this a lot. Duncan SM1 or SM3.

20. Buelligan

Buelligan Member

Me, too. A lot of players like it clean, but I think it sounds great driven, too.