1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tele Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lbenf, Feb 7, 2006.

1. lbenf

lbenf Member

I am planning to order my first t type guitar ash/maple neck (leaning towards Nash) and was wondering what type of neck pickup (none-esquire, standard single or humbucker ala Keef) to order. Tele owners, please share your thoughts. Thanks

2. Roe

Roe Member

consider a tvclassic or a magnatron!

3. raz

raz Member

You need to give us more information. What kind of music are you doing/interested in? What players influence you? What kind of gear do will you use the guitar with? What sounds are you looking for? How much of an issue is noise/hum for you? Etc.

Personally, I prefer the "traditional" 2 pickup Tele configuration. My current Tele is a Mexican Alder-body with Maple Fretboard and the Bill Lawrence 280/290 combination. Callaham bridge. These pickups take a little twang off, but that's acceptable considering it mostly gets used for Blues, and it's a low-noise instrument.

But if you're into the Keef thing, then you'll want that humbucker.

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

I had amazing success with 4-way switching and Fralin P-92/Blues Special. It's my "Go To" Tele without a doubt!:AOK

5. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I love the looks of the Charlie Christian type pickup in the neck position.
    However I am not sure about the tone and who makes them.
    There is a pic in the thread "Telecaster Roundup" of one.
    He said it was a P90 under the C.C. cover. Now that is cool!

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

If this is your first tele, you need to acquaint yourself with the stock version w/ two single coils. There are a lot of great sounds with those two pups, the toggle switch and the vol and tone pots.

My $0.02....and welcome to the Tele club!! :BEER

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

Yep, I agree...stock pickups are a great way to start this wonderful journey, but 4-way switching is a must IMHO.:BluesBros

8. parker

parker Member

I vote the classic configuration S/S, besides, you can't just have one Tele...... enjoy the tonal spectrum of the original design and then later add at Tele/Tele's with different p'up configurations. Welcome to the fold, and keep us apprised of your acquisition.....

9. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I'd say go with the Adder plus neck pickup...standard chrome covered single coil with a noise cancelling feature. Brad Paisley has them in nearly all his teles and they sound killer... they are punchy, have great clarity, strong output, but not muddy- blends very well with a Fralin Blues Special.

10. Nodin

Nodin Member

Somewhere between new Mexico and California and Ut
    I just got my first Tele as well, what does the 4th position do? Is it like a Strat "in-between" position or just a beefier neck?

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

12. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I just recently got my first Tele. I wasn't even looking to buy a guitar but went into a shop and the owner must have needed a sale that day. I wound up with an American Series (2005) Ash Body, Maple neck & F. Board, Natural finish in one of the Fender Custom Cases for $900 'out the door'.

Went straight to another friend who owns a store and showed it to him and he couldn't believe it. Said it should have sold for around 11 or 1200! He checked it out and there's nothing wrong with it; just a great deal.

Came home and plugged into my Fender Deluxe Reverb RI and loved it (Of course, I played it at the store first). The guitar and pickups sounded killer. What I can't figure out is why I spent the money to put in a set of Vintage Noiseless Pups! They sound good; a little stronger with the extra output - but not that much different than the stock pups!

I like the advice already given. Get the Tele you want and play it for a good while with the stock pups in it. See what it's all about.

Enjoy your Tele; I sure do!

13. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Agreed. I'm down to one, and there's a definate hole in my soul about it.:NUTS :D

So I'm thinking about building a keef....:AOK

14. lbenf

lbenf Member

I appreciate the insights--thank you everyone. I will keep you apprised of my tele adventure.

15. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Love for Lollars and Kinmans here. I personally like the regular setup all my Tele's are that way but have been thinking of a P-90 or Hum in the neck.

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Whatever you choose, I'd say order it routed for a P90. That way you have a lot of options for the future. You could go with a standard tele neck, a P90, a mini humbucker, and TV Jones' website says they are now making their pickups in a P90 size. I'm pretty sure the Lollar Charlie Christian tele neck pickup (different than the archtop pickup linked in the this thread) would fit as well, but I'd have to double check that.

You could also have it routed for a humbucker, and have all the choices above, with the humbucker sized P90 type pickups available today, and a lot more choices in humbuckers, but I personally would be more interested in the P90 so I'd go with the P90 rout. In fact I'm thinking of getting a CS tele done that way.