Tele saddles: tilt or slant compensated?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by geodr, Apr 6, 2015.

1. geodr

geodr Member

I'm replacing the bridge on my tele (pretty happy with the Glendale I have) with a half bridge to put a HB-sized P-90 in the bridge position. Wondering if I should stick with the slant compensated saddles (several options available), or go for a Rutters bridge with tilt compensated saddles. Any thoughts on whether the Rutters tilt compensated are as effective and playable as slant compensated saddles ?

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Not sure what the difference is between slant and tilt - from googling, looks like two different words for the same thing.

What I really like best are the Wilkinson saddles that are straight but compensate by moving the top point for each string (just google for pictures). I currently use a Wilkinson half-bridge with those saddles, and the pickup screwed directly into the wood. Best setup I've ever had.

3. tanee

tanee Member

I can't imagine any of the two options being best case scenario for intonation. If intonation is important to you I would recommend the modern tele bridges with a saddle for each string.

4. geodr

geodr Member

slant compensated:
    [​IMG]

Rutters tilt compensated:
    [​IMG]

Wilkenson notch compensated:
    [​IMG]

5. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

The stock 3 saddle works fine, you just have to intonate and tune a little bit differently.

Read this and then decide if you want to spend money on tilted/compensated bridges:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/tech-tips/saddle_up_your/

It really works, Jerry Donahue knows what he's talking about.

I did this to my MIM tele and it sounds just as in tune as any 6 saddle guitar I've had. Possibly better, as it's my favorite guitar since.

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I like having the notches. The height screws do ok keeping the strings in place and the slanted barrels look cooler IMHO. I have Callaham in the Wilkinson style above with notches to maintain string spacing with Bigsby use. When I use a heavier pick, I sometimes pop them out of the notches.

7. arem

arem Member

I have the Rutters saddles on one of my Teles and like them a lot. Intonation is perfect and the notches really work to keep the strings from slipping around.

8. Bopcat

Bopcat Member

I've tried both the Jerry Donahue method and the Glendale compensated saddles on my '52 RI. For me, the Glendales were more accurate and in tune. I'm no Jerry Donahue.

9. J-Walk

J-Walk Member

+1 on the Rutters saddles. I prefer them over anything else I've tried. Vintage tone and perfect tuning are both there in spades.

10. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

The key is to tune your G string fretting the 12th fret. the rest you can tune open or 12th harmonic.

Assuming you've intonated the middle saddle so that D is flat and G is sharp (at 12th harmonic).

Do what works for you though! I'm just saying people should give this a try first.

That may be. Good thing he doesn't tune pianos. :)

11. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

Did you try the Gotoh saddles with adjustable position? You could see them on Suhr T-style guitars.

[​IMG]

12. Roe

Roe Member

this is the best option really

13. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

I have a set of the Rutters Broadcaster saddles. Great tone and intonation.

14. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

With my Wilkinson, I use .009-.042 strings, top loading, and HEAVY picks, and never have any problems with things popping out of notch.

15. Roe

Roe Member

It is easy to file the barrels if necessary

16. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I use Adamas 2.0 with 10-46 and have gotten the low E to jump a couple times. Not really a problem IMHO.