Tele shaped P90's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I have another Tele coming in and I'm expecting to have to replace the pickups (not sure why, but I figure this one will be a nice modder anyway). At the same time I might have to sell a great 3-P90 guitar (which sucks!). So, I'm wondering about Tele shaped pickups that sound like P90's? I think "Vintage Vibe" makes them or something? Any reports on these?
    The Tele is a 52 style, but I already have a Vintage-type sounding Esquire so I don't mind if this next Tele is off the beaten path a bit.

2. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Harmonic Design Vintage+ (neck) and Super-90 (bridge). The Super 90 is the most amazing Tele bridge pup I've ever played. It's been in my '52 reissue for almost eight years now. I played the Vintage+ neck for a number of years, but found that a Fender Texas Special Tele neck gives me a little more Strat type sparkle in the neck and middle positions. The Super-90 and Texas Tele really work for me for blues/rock. Can't recommend this combo highly enough!

Stormin!

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

The Vintage Vibe P-90-flavored bridge pickup is not bad at all, but for the neck position, I'd use a "real" full-size P90... worth the extra effort to route and recut the pickguard, IMO... (Pete also sells pre-cut pickguards for these)

4. jpervin

jpervin Member

A Vintage Vibe soapbar P-90 is what I have in the neck of this Tele. The neck pickup rout was already factory routed for a humbucker, but the soapbar fit in it (just barely). The pickguard came from www.guitarfetish.com.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/jpervin/California%20Tele/S5000344.jpg

5. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

Fralin SP43's have a very P90ish vibe to them. I put them in my Tele, and I love them!

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Rio Grande "Dirty Harry" is another killer P-90 style Tele bridge pup. I have one in an Esquire and it rocks.

7. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I like the Harmonic Design S90 too. I wouldn't say that it sounds exactly like a P90, but then HD doesn't try to make any of its pickups to sound just like anything else. Mine is paired with a Z90 in the neck, but you need a humbucker route for that. Great combo.

8. Gasp100

I hesitate to get the neck pickup routed, it's an '81 Tokai and I'm hoping it has some mojo/collector's value someday... but maybe not ;)

9. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I A/B'd one of these with a Super-90 in my Tele and, for me, there was no comaprison. The Super-90 was so much, warmer, fatter, punchier, and handled gain better.

YMMV,

Stormin!

10. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Not much to add, except I agree with this 100%.

Tone gold here with an S-90 in the bridge!
    [​IMG]

I'm a huge P90 fan... these aren't exactly the same, but they cover basically the same territory and a big plus is you also get the Tele vibe/sound too.

11. Al Nico

Al Nico Member

What pots/caps did you use? I've got a DH with 500K pots and 0.022uF cap, and find it to be plenty warm an punchy and cleans up fairly well, similar to a Vintage Vibe bridge HS-90 (HB-sized P-90) I also have.

12. Gasp100

Looks like the Harmonic Designs Super 90 in the bridge is the ticket. I might also take Stormin's suggestion for a Texas Tele neck pup as well.
    Thanks all!

13. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

:agree+1
    I only play P90s and love these pickups. I have 'em in my Strat too.

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

another vote for fralin steel-poles!

15. go7

go7 Member

Had Scott Heatley build me a chambered Tele w/ Wolfetone P90`s. Scott builds huge thick tone.

16. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I was going to suggest those too. I'm been thinking of picking up a set!

17. caelum7

caelum7 Member

I have a tele with a matched set of Vintage Vibe T-90s in them, they sound monster. full recommendation! I also have a Gibson Historic R7 Junior and the T90 compares very favorably.