Tele shoot out Surprise CIJ 62 vs USA Deluxe VS Squier VM vs Highway One

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by g335, Jan 28, 2008.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

I went to a music store to try out some teles. I played a Japanese Fender 62 reissue tele with Texas specials(I am in Japan) bound body, Squier Vintage modified Thin line and a USA Highway one and a USA Tele Deluxe. I played them through a AC15cc with a Small Clone and a Double Muff.

The Japanese Fender sounded great , good neck, good weight. The neck is a vintage 60's neck (with the truss rod entrance at the body end of the neck) clean good frets, vintage 3 saddle bridge and Texas Specials(stock). Playing clean , sounded great, thru the small clone great, thru the Double Muff great. Become alittle muddy if put too much distortion thru it(cranking it all the way to the right).

The Squier was good sounding, light weight, the neck was nice for a low priced Squier guitar. Clean frets, nice paint. Played clean nice, Sounded good the Small Stone and Double Muff but the pickups are not as strong as the other guitars, good candidate for pick up upgrades but a good guitar.

The Highwayone, well it was terrible in my opinion. The neck was too big for me, the frets were clean but not comfortable. The finish on the neck( I know these are stripped down teles) felt not good at all. The guitar sounded lifeless and not good at all. Felt cheaply made.

The Deluxe, great neck, great finish, great tone. Sounded good clean. With the Small Stone sounded good. But with the Double Muff( used both settings) it barely put out any distorted tone. I mean it sounded clean regardless of how much drive I used on the Double Muff or the AC15cc.
    Great guitar but didn't do so well with overdrive or distortion.

I would say that the Japanese Fender and The USA Deluxe are tied for 1st place. The Japanese Fender has great hot output and soared with the Double Muff and the overdrive from the AC15cc.
    The Squier would be 2nd place but I would probably change out the pickups. But the stock ones do sound good, just nothing special.
    The Highway one, I would not buy. I would buy the Squier before this.

2. g335

g335 Member

Any one with similar experiences for these guitars?

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I used to own a 1986 MIJ Esquire that smoked much of the competition out there. As far as I know it's still owned by a TGP member.

4. g335

g335 Member

The Japan guitars are pretty good, just change out the electronics and pickups depending on which model you get.

I was surprised that the Highway one was not so good. I thought it was a good guitar.

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Actually loved the pickup on the '86.

6. g335

g335 Member

Some of the CIJ models here come with USA pickups or Texas Specials, or SD, etc.

The 62 tele that I played is only about 550 to 600 dollars US, thats good price I feel.Most models with US pickups start about 450 and up

7. sears

sears Member

Those are the two teles I have. I have the tele plus and a Fernandes 62 copy. Of all the teles I've tried that I can afford, those two are the best and yet sound totally different.

I have since made the 62 into an Esquire and removed the middle pickup on the tele plus, making it into a tele deluxe.

8. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

as far as I'm concerned the best sounding and best quality Fenders are made in Japan. Maybe I'm crazy for thinking this, but I won't buy a new Fender unless it says Made In Japan on it.

9. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

+1 on Japanese Fenders.

10. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

I have a couple CIJ Teles including the '62, a few Deluxes and a Highway One. The H1 is very nice (it is a FSR with CS pups, so it is different from the one in the review), but I don't like it as well as the others.

The CIJ is excellent, but I found that I HAD to swap out the bridge plate on both of my because the plates that Fender Japan uses are so cheap and rough that they bothered my hand. I have mixed feelings about the Texas Specials, but I chose to leave them.

The Am Deluxes are superior to the others IMHO. Top notch fit and finish, playabiltiy is awesome - just great guitars.

Having said all that - if you are in the market for a new Tele, you need to look at the new American Standards. I LOVE mine!!!!

11. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

Same here.. I would rather buy a top of the line CIJ Fender than a USA Fender.. and it would still be cheaper.

Custom Shop USA Fenders is a totally different story though ;)

12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I bought a Japan 50s Tele w/Bigsby a few months ago after seeing it used in my local GC. I love Bigsbys and I love Teles, but this is the first Tele with a Bigsby that I've liked. It plays and sounds wonderful. It stays in tune like a champ and is pretty lightweight.

I have no idea what the pickups are, but they sound like the Tele sound I've had in my head for years. I like them better than the Lollars in my partsocaster. I'd love to know what they are.

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Which highway strat had a big neck? They all have Fender's modern C which is pretty slim. I'd love to fat a thick neck'd one.

14. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

These are Teles...

15. justonwo

justonwo Member

A Japanese Tele with different pickups (I hate the Texas Specials) is as good as any American Fender out there, in my opinion. The one I had was equivalent to my CS Tele - the finish was poly, but that was basically the only difference.

16. g335

g335 Member

The Highway one I played was either a 07 or 08 model. The neck was just uncomfortable and felt big compared to the other necks. The quality was bad.

I would buy a Squier before i buy the Highway one. I have played modern necked teles and usually they feel fine. But the pickups were not so good too, so I tested each guitar for a while and put them through their paces.

I will probably get the 62 but really want the Deluxe, depends on money in acouple of months.

But havent played the lastest Mex. They get them here sometimes but they are rare, usually its always the Americans(different models) the Highway ones and lots of high end Fenders. In addition to the Japanese models.

17. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

Sorry, I totally disagree. I have two CIJ Teles and seven CS Teles. The CIJ are nice once you swap the bridge plate, pickups and electronics, but they are NO match for Custom Shop guitars.

18. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

I have a CiJ '62 Tele (the unbound one with American Vintage pickups) and an '02 Highway One Strat. They're both good, but the CiJ Tele has already had the switch go bad, and it probably needs a recut nut, among other things.

While I've seen other Highway Ones that were fairly questionable--and mine is before the 70ization, Greasebucket, etc.--back when the Highway One was mainly a vintage-style body with a satin finish and an American Standard neck--I prefer it to the CiJ.

19. MGT

MGT Member

Your experience with Highway 1's surprises me...I have a 2006 tele & 2007 strat and love them both more than my American Series versions of both. The quality was fine and I love the larger frets. Neck preferences are, of course, a subjective & personal thing.

20. Unburst

Unburst Member

The only surprise to me is that the CIJ didn't come out the clear winner.

My CIJ Tele beat out a CS Nocaster.