Tele/strat hybrids

Blauserk

Silver Supporting Member
I suspect that Don Grosh has made something similar to what both of you want: A Tele-shaped guitar with Strat pups and layout, and a Strat-shaped guitar with Tele pups.

I can only find photos of one such creation, though: A Tele-shaped git with Strat pups and layout. But I imagine they could do the other one too.

KLB

The most famous one I can think of is Steve Morse's "FrankenTele", which had a large headstock maple Strat neck on an ash body, with 4 different pickups.

He had to retire it after it got damaged during Air Shipment. According to a post he made on his website, the anvil case came off the conveyer belt with a big hole smashed through it... and the guitar!

I think the FrankenTele was his most vibrant sounding axe. His 20-something year old #1 Ernie Ball Siggy sounds a bit dull by comparison. He loves to solo on the neck pickup. With the Siggy, it sometimes lacks definition.

OR... it could be that my hearing lacks definition compared to 29 years ago when I got to regularly see the Dixie Dregs in the Atlanta area!
:D

Cheers,
Ken

WayneM

This is a strat body, tele neck and headstock, tele neck PU and a trembucker.
Fender Masterbuilt

Strung Up

Comin' in from the Strat lane, I've got a Suhr maple/swamp Strat with his Broadcaster PU in the bridge that on it's own keeps me wanting to play blues and/or be Roy Buchanan when I grow up (while I'm usually up to my eyeballs in Real Book tunes); and one of his hollow archtop Customs with P90's that's pretty far afield from Tele build, but his P90 in the bridge RIPS close enough to make me think Mr. Collins is smiling somewhere.

Lex Luthier

Not boo-teek, but it is a nice axe. The push-pull tone pot and the 5 way give you 7 different sounds, very versatile.

M

Mike Cantrell

Originally posted by WayneM
This is a strat body, tele neck and headstock, tele neck PU and a trembucker.
Fender Masterbuilt

That is a great guitar.... I would LOVE to try that one out!

andygio

Here's mine...

Rio Grande Muy Grande Tele bridge, strat middle, Duncan Vintage P-90. Gotoh tremolo bridge. This guitar covers a lot of ground, sound wise. The swamp ash body is really lightweight and so resonant. It also has a short scale (24.75") conversion neck.​

andygio said:
Here's mine...

Rio Grande Muy Grande Tele bridge, strat middle, Duncan Vintage P-90. Gotoh tremolo bridge. This guitar covers a lot of ground, sound wise. The swamp ash body is really lightweight and so resonant. It also has a short scale (24.75") conversion neck.​
Pretty cool!
:RoCkIn

James

Actually, I think the Valley Arts Larry Carlton Signature model is an interesting mix of Tele, Strat and Les Paul Special.

- Tele shape (scaled down 7/8th sized body)
- Tele-style simple volume/tone controls
- Strat-shaped upper cutaway
- Strat-style body contours
- Strat-style pickguard
- Strat-style headstock with Gibson-style black overlay
- Gibson scale length
- Gibson P90-style pick-ups
- Gibson Les Paul Special-style one-piece mahogany body

It's really a mutt of a guitar, with these features. I love it.

:RoCkIn

Trending Topics