Tele String Gague

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ancient, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ancient

ancient Member

Tele users, which string gague do you prefer and why?

I have an alder body Tele HS w maple neck. It has a single coil in the bridge and a humbucker in the neck. It's a heavy guitar! I usually play with 10's but recently decided to switch it up and try out a pair of 9's.

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

10-46. I was just over at my Dad's house and he has a Tele set up with 9's and it just felt weird and wrong.

3. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

9-42 here on my 52 ri, and it feels/sounds good to me!

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I use the 9-42 on my 52 RI as well.

It's the only one I like 9's on.

It's fun to be able to bend the bass strings a whole step, which is dang hard with 10s.

I also think 9's sounded spankier for country.

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'm definitely in the minority, but I use .012s (with a plain G) on my Nocaster. I have a few friends who use .013s, but that's a bit too heavy for me. I rarely bend over a step, I like they way the strings feel under my picking hand, and I really dig the acoustic volume of the guitar with heavier strings.

Bryan

6. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

.010 Gibson Vintage Reissue's sound great on my Muddy Waters Tele. Tried MANY strings before that. They cost a little more but hardly ever break one.

.012 Flatwounds on another "too bright" Tele. Different but fun!

7. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

10-46 with a 16 plain G.

8. puddinstone

puddinstone Member

12's here. Unwound G. I love how big strings sound on a single coil guitar!

9. Axe_78th

Axe_78th Member

I agree you do get that really twangy tele thing with 9's. I used 10's for years and recently used some 9's on my tele cause I had them handy. I was surprised at the difference in twang. I'm not saying I'll continue using them but you can really get that "Funk 49" thing with 9's too. At one time I did the Danny Gatton thing and use a 10 thru 46 set only changing the .017 G to a .015. Makes it easier to do the very few pedal steel bends I know. Don't do them very well at all with a .017.

10. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

I just put 9s back on after about 10 years using 10s. I like it. Thats what the guitar came with when i bought it. Twangy and almost seems to have a snap that the 10s lacked. i have 10s on another tele and i find myself picking the one with 9s more often. The next set i going to try is the 9.5s might be a nice medium.

11. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    10's with a plain, unwound G. i tend to fret bar chords pretty firmly when playing out live or in the studio and 10s are as slinky as i'll go. when i fret chords sometimes my hand will inadvertently bend lighter strings out of tune... typically i'll go 10s on fenders and gretsches and 11s on Gibsons....

12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

this is it
    10's on fenders, 11's on gibbys

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

!0's on a Tele just sounds to fat & muted to my ears ..
    I've got a few big boxes for that kind of tone, that in fact,
    a Tele can get so well ..

Just luv the Hi-Fi tone of 9's on a Tele.... The spank factor is increased!!

14. Twanger

Twanger Member

I used 9s for years, and then I switched to 10s on the Tele and used those for 7 or 8 years. 6 months ago I started using the D’addario EXL120+ sets (9.5-44) and these are my favorite. They come with a .16 G string just like a regular 9s set so pedal steel bends are very manageable, but the low E and A strings are a little beefier than a regular 9s set. Try them!

15. r080

r080 Member

11s--I like D'Addarios, and they don't have the cheaper 10 packs of 12s or 13s. I'll start using 12s once I can afford it.

16. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Flatwound D'Addario 11's... subbing out a plain G, of course.

17. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

10-46, but I've been thinking of trying lighter gauge - I played a strat over break with lighter strings, and I was digging the sound.

18. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

10-46 for me.

I've tried going heavier for tone but couldn't manage the multi-string steel bends that require a bit more finesse.

I experimented with heavy bottoms but certain chords always ended up sounding unbalanced to me.

19. motis1953

motis1953 Member

I've been using GHS Burnished Nickel .011's ever since I got my Callaham Tele. Evidently Bill Callaham had something to do with the design. They sound real good and seem to last a bit longer than the D'Addario's I used to use. I spray a bit of WD-40 on a small rag made from an old t-shirt and wipe my strings down between each set. This makes them last about THREE times longer. No exaggeration. Never had any finish problems either. Been doing it for 25 years and have cut my string bill in half. If you're doing a lot of pedal-steel bending or try to cop Albert King you might want to go with .010's which are less likely to break if you're bending two whole tones but you'll lose a LOT of tone every time you go a guage lighter. Be as manly as you can without hurting yourself.

20. sanders4617

sanders4617 Supporting Member

I went to a guy at a local music store and asked him about the Ernie Ball 9-46 strings.. and he fed me this crap that unless your playing drop D, then don't do it, because it will twist your neck? lol. Honestly, I think he was just repeating something he had heard from his great grandfather, cause I have never heard of it, but I didn't buy them because I didn't want to take the chance without fully knowing.

Heh. Anyway. I just got a Edwards LP that the previous owner had 11s on. I am use to 9s on my Fender Strat. It wasn't actually that bad, but after playing it for 2 days (along with my acoustic with 12s) and going back to the Fender.. I was already over bending and stuff. I like 9s on my Fender, but I think I am going to go to 10s on my LP. I personally didn't like the 11s mostly because it was too mellow. Great for jazz, but I felt like I couldn't get the snap that I like. Maybe I am just use to strats/teles.