Tele-Style Soloway Swan Clip (with a BJF PGC & Honey Bee, & Analogman Delay)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by MrMunky, Feb 10, 2008.

1. MrMunky

MrMunky Member

Even though I already own a fine Swan, Jim Soloway was kind enough to send me one of his new Tele-Style Swans. I can't say enough good things about this machine. I expected it to have the basic Swan tone with maybe a little bit more bite. I never expected it to perform as a Tele as well as a Suhr or Custom Shop Nocaster, but it does, and with the low end of a hollowbody.

I'll write a more in-depth review later, but for now, here's a clip:

http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/TennStud.mp3

I spent last weekend in Nashville; that was my inspiration.

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

Well, what a fun little clip that was! :) Thanks for posting.

Love my Swan (played for hours today at a rehearsal) and am interested in the Tele style. My own Tele (Gatton sig) has seen the most gig duty in the last few months. Having a Soloway Tele would be like combining two of my favorite gutars. :dude

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

4. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Man, that's a very cool tone. Very distinct but very familiar, too.

5. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Great job MrM. I'm glad I got the guitar into some hands of someone who could really get some Tele sounds from it.

I was a little worried about this guitar while we built it. I was determined to use a traditional style Tele bridge because I think that's where a lot of the Tele sound comes from but I really had no idea how well that would work with our longer scale length. I was also a little concerned about the bridge pickup. I though it might be too thin and shrill. I was really shocked when we finished it. The bridge was a breeze to intonate and I thought the bridge pickup sounded huge. I was able to get some really nice warm jazz tones from it, but you've really shown that it can hit the intended target.

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Excellent clip Mr. M -

I played that guitar at NAMM, and I was amazed at how much high end there was, with no icepick highs at all! Of course it plays great.

Did you use 10's on it? I love your demo tune - wonderful!

Thanks, Dana O.

7. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Wow, Anthony. That was really cool--sounded great.

8. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

That sounds fantastic.

Mr. Soloway, I think it's positively irresponsible for you to keep making guitars I would trade internal organs for. :D

9. fatback

fatback Member

twangalicious! :BEER

10. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

This is going to be bad news for my bank account. :BITCH

11. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

very tele..........wow!!

12. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I just spent a few days with (I think) this guitar and it's amazing. Great low end- very full and round but without losing that growly spanky Tele aggressiveness. Extended upper register without any shrillness gives it a very acousticy feel. Harmonically rich midrange is awesome. I'm usually not a big fan of Teles because I find the bridge to thin and piercing and lots of the neck pickups are too muddy. The Soloway works beautifully in all three positions. In fact there wasn't a real consensus among the players I showed it to which pup position is better. It's an amazingly versatile instrument along with being a great player and simply beautiful. I can see that I'll need one one day. If I had the wherewithal, I'd make sure this one found its way back to me.

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

Ah, so it was you who I sent the guitar to. Glad it arrived safely. Totally agree with your assessment. I had the guitar for about four days and got to play a gig with it. What a fantastic instrument! I had already decided before trying the T-Swan that my next guitar would likely be another Tele style, but I was thinking more like a Trussart. I've now changed my mind.

14. Thor

Thor Member

Great clip!!! And yet another winner from the House of Soloway!

cheers,

Edward