tele switch question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by scottlr, Oct 5, 2006.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

I recently ordered an RS kit for my tele. I ordered the COMPLETE kit, with switch, but they sent the basic kit w/o switch. No problem, I found one locally.
    The switch that is in this MIJ 62 RI tele is enclosed in plastic, unlike the open switches you normally see. Is this an inferior switch? It actually looks beefier to the eye, but I am not up on this sort of thing, and this will be my virgin attempt at guitar electronics. The current switch seems to work fine, but I figured I'd get a new one just for the wiring experience. But now, as I look at it, I want to be sure I am using the best quality part I guess. The new one I bought is a Dimarzio branded switch, which I am sure is probably just a repackaged Switchcraft. Anybody have any thoughts on this before I tear into it?

BTW, I am a little nervous, but extremely tickled to finally getting into this stuff. I hate paying a tech to do these simple things for me.

2. K-man

K-man Member

Email or call RS and tell them they sent the wrong kit. They should make it right if you ordered the complete kit.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

No, that's not the problem. That is all solved. I am just curious about the new Dimarzio switch vs the encase in plastic switch that is in the guitar now. The Dimarzio looks like any normal tele switch, but the one that is in there "looks" beefier, but only because it seems solid. I want to know if it is really just a cheap MIJ switch that needs to be replaced or not. If not, I can save $12 by returning the switch I just bought.

4. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

Your new Switchcraft/Dimarzio is quite a bit better than the MIJ issue. In many ways, it's actually "beefier" than the original in the guitar. I've only had a couple of MIJ parts fail, but never a Switchcraft, FWIW.

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

OK, thanks. I am actually gonna return the Dimarzio, though. I had forgot that I still had 2 of these switches from my 62 & 57 RI Strats when I changed them to 5 positions. And it is the exact same switch as in the Dimarzio package.