• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tele Switch Tip Issues

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
Seems that, short of gluing the damn thing on, I can't keep the switch tip on my K-Line from shooting all over the stage. Maybe it's technique, maybe the thing is just really loose. Either way, what do you do to prevent this? FWIW, it's a TopHat style. Might be better to use the short one?

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
You can try a couple of things....I generally remove the tip and lightly crimp the sides of the switch tip with wire cutters. This creates a couple of "teeth" on the thin edge of the switch and gives the plastic tip something to grab on to.

But recently I've just picked up tips that have a set screw. Problem totally solved. Glendale offers several styles.
http://www.glendaleguitars.com/glendale3.htm

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen all sorts of fixes, from crimping the edges of the metal to make it grab the plastic, to wrapping a thin layer of double-stick tape and jamming the plastic tip over it. But the one I liked best was a steel tip with a small allen screw to secure it on the switch. Forgot who makes it though.

Edit ... Exactly as rhino (above) mentions! :aok

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
I can't believe I just paid that much for a switch tip but after seeing that raw Glendale, I had to do it.

LJD

Couldn't macgyver it myself, so picked up one of these from Armadillo Guitar. Side tension screw solves the problem, got one that matches the brass saddles on the new US pro teles.

Steve_U1S

Silver Supporting Member
Nice mix'n'match of chrome and brass - well chosen.
Like that tip - if I'm seeing it right, it's an 'innie' right?
(Hollow vintage-like tip to the ... tip...)

Jim85IROC

Silver Supporting Member
A small dab of silicone sealer on the switch before you install the tip will keep it there but will still come off with a little force.

LJD

Nice mix'n'match of chrome and brass - well chosen.
Like that tip - if I'm seeing it right, it's an 'innie' right?
(Hollow vintage-like tip to the ... tip...)

Correct, it is an "innie". They also make domed tops with smooth surface.

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
I use blue Loctite. But be careful it doesn't run down into the switch mechanism (ask me how I know!)

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I tried several methods. Lock-tire. Super glue, bending the switch shaft.

The best solution was buying a switch tip with a set screw.

My Rutters aluminum that currently resides on my EBMM Valentine
39401DE5-8458-4FF1-B153-8A5D54277DBB_zpstponjmy5.jpg

mikefair

Silver Supporting Member
I gave up. I jammed a switch from a Strat on mine. You would have to break it to get it off.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
You can try a couple of things....I generally remove the tip and lightly crimp the sides of the switch tip with wire cutters. This creates a couple of "teeth" on the thin edge of the switch and gives the plastic tip something to grab on to.

But recently I've just picked up tips that have a set screw. Problem totally solved. Glendale offers several styles.
http://www.glendaleguitars.com/glendale3.htm

Just be sure you check the set screw for tightness occasionally. They will loosen. Another ask me how I know.

hunter

guitarmook

I always think of this story... was at the Continental for a Redd matinee one Saturday, and just before taking a break, Redd asked if any of the ladies in the audience had some nail polish with them, to come see him. So I waited a bit, and then went to talk to Redd, and accused him of trolling for dates (this was before he was remarried). He said "No! - My switch tip fell off, and I need a little dab of loktite!"

Trending Topics

Top Bottom