Tele that won't break the proverbial bank

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Prodigy, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I'm thinking about getting a tele in the new year, and I was just wondering what some great teles are that aren't outrageously expensive. I think up to $2000 is probably reasonable, as I paid that for my JS 1200. The place around here that sells Suhr Classic T's has them starting at around $3600, which IMO is pretty excessive. I've heard G and L ASAT's aren't bad, but I've also heard they are lacking a bit of 'soul'. I've never tried a tele, but I think a maple fretboard will be a requirement, as well as a neck that isn't too thick. Any recommendations? Also, has anybody tried the Valley Arts Brent Mason tele?

2. dead mike

dead mike Member

buy a used G&L. quality on them is as good as it gets with rock bottom 2nd hand pricing

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

If you're looking for a tele, then I'd suggest a used Nocaster. That would definitely come in under $2K. EDIT: I missed your comment about wanting a smaller neck. A Nocaster wouldn't be what you want.

For less (and a bit different), look at the G&L ASAT and ASAT Classic models. Lately, I've been playing an '87 ASAT a lot more than my Nocaster, but both are great guitars. The ASAT was an awful lot cheaper - well under $1K used.

Bryan

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  4. bgood

bgood Member

ASAT Classic Bluesboy. No reason to spend $2,000 on a Telecaster IMO unless you are into custom stuff with fancy finish etc.

5. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Check out the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele ($299 at MF)...seriously a fine guitar, neck is not too fat at all, has med. jumbo frets, vintage bridge and brass saddles and alnico 3 pups. It's a fatter, bluesy toned tele that doesn't do the ice pick bridge tone. And for 3 bills, the fit and finish are on par with american made Fenders...seriously, it's a fine telecaster.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...BE-Telecaster-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519376

6. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Get a Baja. $600 and more tones than any other one tele. CTS pots, CS pups and the best(IMO) neck fender is putting out.

7. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Should have mentioned....I'd be using it for blues, country a la Paisley and Brent Mason, as well as for some jazzy stuff and alternative music...Crook guitars have also piqued my interest, but I'd have to try one before throwing the cash down for any guitar...

8. mg550

mg550 Member

/\ /\ /\ I second this guy. Why spend 2k on something you may not even like? The Baja is a very good value at 1/4 your budget. No, it's not custom shop or boutique by any means, but they play nice and they sound like a Tele! I'd at least go play one before I spent 2k on something else.

The G&L guitars are an excellent value on the used market though. You can't go wrong there either.

9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I love my NOS No-Caster (really NOS, but no case, $ 1,460.), but Prodigy will probably find the No-Caster big neck to be way too large. I love my ASATs but I don't play them as much as I do my S-500 and Comanches. I think I need to install all locking tuners on the Classics.

By all means, try the MIM Classic Player Baja. Great guitar, again the neck is smaller than the No-Caster but may still be too big. If so, look at the MIM Classic 50's and Classic 60's Teles.

You absolutely do NOT need to spend real big bux on a bolt neck guitar like a Tele. These things are fairly inexpensive to make, they're bulletproof, they're exceptionally easy to tweak and to modify.

I've learned from my sommelier not to drink wines way too far above or below my price range. If you can only afford $ 299 for a CIC Squier Vintage Vibe Tele, by all means try it. But I personally do find the MIM Classic Series similar enough to the AV and even the CS Fender stuff, that I still enjoy playing them all. No experience being momentarily flummoxed as it were, by an apparently high quality Chinese instrument that IMO will not stand the test of time as the CIJs and Pro-Tones have.

There are some other CS models with thinner necks, usually pertaining in some way to 1960's design. Check those out as well.

Bubbanov

10. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

+1. Stick a Musikraft or Warmoth on there and you are in business.

dk

11. jtm622

jtm622 Member

If you want a Tele, why not buy an actual Telecaster? A "Fender" USA Telecaster goes for $999 w/hard case at GC... That's the real thing, and that price won't bust your budget...

12. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what MIM, AV, CIJ, or CIC stands for...Also, what is a Pro-Tones guitar? Do you have any links to your preferred axes? Cheers

13. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

+ 1 on G&L. You need to play a bunch of them until you find one that speaks to you. The newer ones have little fuller neck profile.

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Well, I'll definitely try a few out, but I've heard that there are a lot better guitars than Fender for the money...I want the best I can get, and I'll pay up to $2000 or so, but I don't want a mediocre or introductory guitar...Won't really know till I try for myself though...I definitely will try the top end Suhrs as well. Who knows, maybe I can be swayed in that direction if they impress me enough. Gear buying is such a weird thing. You can do all the research in the world and get so prepared and then the impulses start to come when you are trying stuff out, and you get possessed by gear spirits who convince you to spend more money..."The power of G.A.S. compels you!!!!!"

15. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Its a tele. Its one of the oldest guitar designs around. If you want it to sound like a tele, you have to stick with the basic formula. The first tele's were made from cheap available woods (pine, maple, alder, swamp ash). There are plently of guitars under $2000 that fit the basic forms of a tele. Check out the low end stuff before you convince yourself you need to spend $2000.

dk

16. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

No offense to the G&L guys, but stock ASAT's do not sound anything like Teles to me. MFD's are their own thing.

17. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

18. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

G&L Asat Cl"assic model exactly a Tele. available thineline or solid, neck h/b(Bluesboy model0 a la Keef"

19. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

From G&L site, ASAT Classic:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 traditional size G&L Magnetic Field Design single coil pickups

That is not "exactly a Tel".

[/FONT]

20. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

K-Line

One of the best Tele's I've seen here.

G&L makes an amazing guitar but they are NOT Tele's. They are their own instrument. That was Leo's intention and he succeeded in a big way. Again, it is NOT a Tele.