Tele Thinline with Buckers? Opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JKoeth, Mar 21, 2006.

1. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Not that it will be any year soon but I am thinking my next guitar might be another Tele. I was looking at a Thinline (semi hollow) with buckers.

The Fender Thinlines feel kinda cheap to me and I think I'd like to go Boutique. I prefer my 52 Reissue Neck.

I was wondering what you guys had experienced with guitars like this.

2. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

Apparently the new Squier Tele Thinline HH is really nice. It's a set neck with two HB's and a Gibson scale length. Friend of mine bought one and now he wants to sell his Stratocaster and his Gibson ES-175! Says that he has to beat his buddies off with a stick whenever they try it, just to get it back. Hard to believe, maybe, but what the heck, maybe worth a trip to the local store just to give it a test drive...

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Look at a G&L Bluesboy. They come with a neck bucker and you can replace the bridge with a Duncan Little 59.

4. BootRoots

BootRoots Supporting Member

FWIW, I think the neck shape on the 69RI thinline and the 52RI are similar. I think both have a u shape, 7.25 radius and vintage frets. what about the thinlines felt cheap? were they too light?

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

It might be that they were just set up poorly and had thin strings which can be easily fixed. Also the unfinished neck if I remember correctly. I don't mean to sound like a snob but I wish they made them in the USA too. I love my 52 Reissue.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have an original one, and you might want to jump on the bandwagon now. They sound killer and they're still not out of sight-guaranteed to be a good investment as well as an icon of semi-hollow tone. I think the original Seth Lover humbuckers are every bit as articulate and sweet as a PAF.

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

You mean vintage right? What year?

8. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

I have a '73 thinline with seth lover 'buckers. I've had it for about 15 years and I'll NEVER let it go, in spite of its monkey-poo brown finish. It just plays and sounds too good to let go. Sleeper all the way.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Mine is a 73 as well. Quality really slipped with strats thru the 70s, but I think the tele's fared better. Most of the Thinlines I've played (admittedly only 3 or 4) were killer guitars.

10. Junebug

Junebug Member

God- when will Fender put out a higher end reissue of the 72 Thinline?

11. orourke

orourke Member

I've played with a guy who uses one of those, he gets a great sound for surf/punk/garage type stuff. The only mod he's done was to put some graphite saddles on it becuase he was breaking stings. The dude is a maniac on stage and gigs a lot and the guitar has held up great.

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The Fender Custom Shop will build one to spec. for a 'reasonable' price. They just delivered my specd. out hard tail CS Strat. Amazing work, better than I even anticipated. Took a full 8 mos. though. AC

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

I had a natural '72 bucker thinline that was an amazing guitar. I loved it and used it for everything. Selling that guitar was one of the biggest gear mistakes I ever made. The reissues I've played don't even come close.

14. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

Have you thought of the boutique manufactures to make one for you. Meloncon, Suhr, or some others might get exactly what you want. Meloncan can build you your twin humbucker single f-hole in a lot of wood combinations and they are a great builder.

15. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

The other guitar player in the band I was in during the '90s had an original 70s tele thinline. I played it once in a while and it was a nice guitar that sounded really sweet. I've played several of the MIM re-issues that I liked just as well.

I just wish they had the medium jumbo frets and 12" radius like the '72 Tele Deluxe ri. Either that or the Deluxe didn't have that god-awful '70s strat headstock. I know they're more true to the originals but I didn't like that headstock in the '70s and it hasn't grown on me any in 30 years.

16. Roe

Roe Member

I wanna build a warmoth thinline tele (more hollow than the 72 thinline).
    Specs:
    - alder body
    - maple top and neck
    - ebony fretboard
    - tvclassic bridge pup
    - magnatron neck pup
    - glensdale tele bridge with aluminium (E/A), heat treated steel (D/G) and brass (H/e) saddles.
    - b 5 bigsby

What do you think?