Tele tone mod

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by scottlr, Jun 6, 2006.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

OK, I absolutely love the tone of my Tele with Joe Bardens. BUT, only when the volume is wide open. When backed off even just a tad, I go from Danny Gatton to Buck Owens like a flash! It gets all thin and loses all of the meat. I have found this on every Tele I have ever played.
    Is there a mod that can eliminate this, and allow the volume control to keep the full tone like other guitars do?
    Oddly, I don't notice this sound from Gatton or Buchannon. So, I suspect they have done something to change this.

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

What value did you use for the volume and tone pots? If you use a 500K or 1Meg volume pot, you'll definitely hear this. If you use a 250K volume pot, the effect is much less noticeable. I used Barden pickups for a few years, a while back, and Joe changed his pot value recommendations each time I bought a set. The first time, he recommended 500K volume and tone pots. The next time, it was 500K volume and 250K tone. The third time, it was 250K for volume and tone. I tried all those combinations, and the 250K/250K combo was the only one I liked.

One other thing... You mentioned you never heard this effect from Buchanan. Roy dimed all the controls, except the reverb, on his Vibrolux Reverb, and controlled everything from the guitar. He said the extra volume and treble was there only if he needed it. Many years ago, I adopted this approach, setting my amp up to be brighter and louder than I thought I'd need it to be, and I do everything from the guitar. (I stop short of diming the controls, however.) I have found, with this approach, that more of the character of the guitar remains throughout the sweep of the guitar's controls.

3. has-sound

has-sound Member

Another thing that you can check is if you have a treble bleed resistor between the two hot legs of the volume pot. This is put there so you won't loose your highs when the volume is turned down. Try removing it and see if it makes a difference.

-Stan

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

As far as I know, the pots are the original ones. I had my local guitar tech install the pups.

I have heard far more Gatton than Roy. On one of his instructional vids, he is certainly not dimed, as he is talking over it. I'll consider that, but I usually find a sweet spot on the amps between 5-7 or so that I really like.

I sort of recall someone telling me to either remove or change a resistor or something in the control cavity. But it has been a long time ago.

Thanks for the input. I'll mention the pots to my tech and see what he thinks about it. Not that I always listen to him LOL

5. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Of course you could also choose a lower value cap or a cap paralleled with a resistor.