Tele took a tumble! Advice?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by oxtone, Jan 26, 2012.

1. oxtone

oxtone Member

Hey all,

My Fender '62 Reissue Custom Tele (Japan) fell, because I forgot to tighten the nut for the guitar stand legs. It fell face first onto a wooden stage
    with a large crash! I was able to tune it back up, and finish the set.

When I got home, I inspected it under a bright light, and found two hairline cracks in the neck joint, on the body, on both sides.
    I had my Luthier look at at - he loosened the strings, and said the neck still felt solid. He said to keep an eye on the cracks, and see if they get any bigger.

Anyone had this happen? Did you have to inject glue into the cracks?

Just wondering - this is my main gigging axe. So far, it's working fine.

2. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

Does it have clear coat, or a color-coat? If it has a color-coat, it could just finish cracks.

3. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I've had both finish cracks, and actual hairlines in that exact spot. And aside from me being nervous about it, nothing at all ever went wrong. When my son was two, he fell over and used my ibanez Jem as a brace but instead of it keeping him from falling, the guitar fell face first onto the floor, and then him on top of it after. The guitar was bought new less than 48 hours before this happened. I still have it, it's been ten years. No tuning issues or anything. But you can definitely see the hairline cracks.

4. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Depending on how noticeable, it could hurt resale value a touch.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

those cracks could have been there for years.

it's a tele, it's supposed to handle a bounce or two.

6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I normally fix those cracks when I see them if they go through to the neck pocket.
    It isn't as if squirting a little glue in them and clamping it down for a few hours is a hard job, so I do it just because sometimes it makes the finish look better if I can get it tight enough and it gives me peace of mind about the guitars stability.

7. Pyrrhic Victory

Pyrrhic Victory Member

I have hairline cracks in my Epi x1000 (ok, so it's not a great model, but it's my only guitar with a bucker and thus important to me, lol). A similar thing happened to what you describe. Except my cracks were right where the neck meets the headstock. I stressed about it for two weeks, but it has been the same ever since.
    It might be nothing for you, too. But I can sympathize with how unnerving those falls are.

8. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

tele fall down? pick it up and play it. Heck, Keef clonged some stupid stage rusher with one, put it back on and keep rocking. Never missed a beat.

It's a tele, they're finish cracks, don't try to glue them. It is what it is.

Pics?

9. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

You can watch john5 throw down his tele on stage and pick a fight with marilyn manson on you tube. He throws it down, freaks out a bit, then picks it back up and starts playing the song again. I think it was a bit out of tune. They're tanks. I wouldn't worry much.

10. oxtone

oxtone Member

Thanks, all, for your responses!

Yea, it was very disconcerting when it happened. So far, the cracks haven't
    opened up, and the Tele is functioning fine. I haven't taken the neck off to inspect the inside of the neck pocket,
    so not sure if the cracks are through to that. They appear to probably be finish cracks, but, we'll see. My Luthier
    wasn't too worried about, and he does all the work on my guitars.

Don't think pics would show the cracks, as they are so small, and in a black area of the sunburst paint.

I'll keep an eye on the cracks in the next few weeks, and see if they get any bigger.

11. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

What Walter said.