• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tele tuner issue

JL75

I have a 50s classic vibe tele, and I really like the guitar, but Im trying to change the strings on it, and I cant get the high E to stay in the darn tuner. This guitar has the posts with the slot cut across the top, and I feed the string down till it bottoms out and start twistin it tight, but as I get close to getting it in tune, it pops out. What can I do? Aside from replacing the tuners. Thx

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
That's what I do when I have to take a neck off for truss adjust - toothpicks, capo, velcro.

SamBooka

That is close to how I do it.. I dont like a lot of wraps. Someone said once the distance from one post to the next is the amount (roughly) of extra string to leave. So I pull the string to the post and cut about an inch or so past the post. Shove it in.. hold it in place when you are winding it and duck it under the string tree when you are done.

Drumnbum

Great video. I've never been able to get it to work by doing that, though.

I've reached the point where I will cut the low E string (wound) and bend it in half (about a 1/2" section) and use hold that in the slot while I tune up.

Everyone says the vintage style tuners are great, but for me they've always been much more cumbersome on the unwound strings than regular tuners.

dazco

I bend it about 1/2-3/4" from the end with pliers so the bent part is about at a 45 degree angle to the rest of the string. Think of a L shape but then bend the small part of the l thats 90 degrees to the long part so it's 45 degrees. Then shove the L joint into the hole. So the bent part helps fill up the hole more and puts pressure on the hole. Hard to make clear but hopefully you get it. More or less doubling up the string in the hole. you could even triple it. But in any case i never have that problem. Also make sure theres enough left so there are plenty of winds. The more winding the more string area is putting pressure against the post making it harder to slip.

swiveltung

once you get a wrap on it keep tension on the string until it gets a few wraps on it. You cut your strings a bit right?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
cut it, stuff it in the hole, bend it over, then wind the key up with a winder while holding the string under tension; i'm not getting why anybody has trouble here.

i actually like more wraps on these, not less, especially the thinner strings; better grip, and the closer the string is to the face of the headstock the less twisting force it exerts on the headstock.

i'll allow a good 4" past the hi E before cutting.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
this trick (wrapping around half the post,laying it into the slot, then around the whole post) is useful when you've cut a thin string too short and are having problems with it; for my money the "three finger rule", which i totally follow for regular through-hole keys, is just too short for split-post keys on the highest strings.

Rhomco

Making UPS, FEDEX and USPS richer every day!
Gold Supporting Member
I don't either although I've heard some people say they prefer the extra wraps because they have a floating trem.
Adding wraps puts down pressure on the nut which is a good thing.
Rob

Trending Topics