Tele Tuners

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jetattblue, Feb 17, 2009.

1. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

I have a project Tele that I'm finishing up. I purchased a USACG neck with the Kluson ream for tuners. Any recommendations for tuners? Are the Kluson's the best, or are there others that I'm missing. Thank you.

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

I prefer the Gotoh version of the Kluson-style tuners. They will fit the ream you ordered.

3. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the gotohs. suhrs and cust. shop fenders use them for a reason.

5. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Member

Get the "staggered Klusons" by Gotoh From Allparts,graduated posts w/graduated slots in the top. They work like a charm for me.

6. zsno

zsno Supporting Member

Agreed on the staggered. I had some in a strat I just loved. Although the standard ones are just fine as well...

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

funny, the staggered ones always bugged me, as the hi E and B end up with the strings dragging across the tuner bushings and having to be wound over themselves on the post. also, not having a string tree makes those 2 strings not ring so clearly and feel weird when bending.

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I just installed a whole boatload of Callaham string trees on a bunch of T style homebrews. I was contemplating getting a least a few of the staggered Gotoh klusons. I finally decided the consistent height posts were getting the job done on all the many others projects I had completed; the staggered shaft was for me the answer to a problem that did not exist.

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Agree 100%. There is no need for staggering. You can control the string level with wraps very easily. Lack of a string tree for the B and E strings is a very touchy thing....the nut and string gauge has to be perfect for it to work, and you still don't get as much down pressure as as a tree provides.

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Staggered no tree and set up well with a correctly cut nut will work great and stay in tune as well as a set of sperzels.

11. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

12. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

13. Bob V

Bob V Member

Maybe this is wierd but the headstock just didn't look right without a string tree, especially with the strings going in a twisting plane (like one of those modern architecture bridges twisting in the wind, or a harp after a brawl). I have the staggered Gotohs and wound up using one tree anyway - not much down pressure on it, just enough to sit there. I agree the staggered ones don't leave much room to wind the string especially if your partscaster has a nice thick headstock.

Either way you can't go wrong with Gotoh vintage style machines - staggered or not. The safe-t-post is a wonderful thing. There are entire threads devoted to the perceived quality differences from the various sources of "Kluson" labeled tuners, but just go with the Gotohs with plain scribed lines on the back and you won't be sorry.

14. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

The WD Music "Klusons" suck. They're Korean-made.

Gotoh stuff is made in Japan. Japanese stuff is always top-shelf.