Tele users: Who has Glendale saddles?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Unburst, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Unburst

Unburst Member

How do you like them?

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

I have the "Twang" set on my 62RI Tele and I like them a lot. Better intonation than the Vintiques I had, and more space between string and screw than the Callahams I had after that (which were otherwise great).

The tone is very good, though it took me a bit to adjust to the tone of the aluminum saddle on the low E and A (requires slight picking adjustments to get the most out of it). Please note that the aluminum saddle is just one of many options.

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

i have the brass set on my tele and i thought it made a GREAT difference. evened out the tone nicely, and its nice how they touch at the top, but not at the bottom. a breeze to intonate, and they'll get you much closer intonation wise too.

if your looking for reasons to shell out for them, dont worry, just do it. well worth it IMO, and they look better too which doesnt always hurt! i dont think you'll find anyone w/ any negative remarks on any of the glendale stuff....

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I just put a set of the brass Cutting Edge saddles on my Nocaster to replace the vintage style set that came on the guitar. They are wonderful! The intonation is superb and the design is very well thought out. I appreciate that the saddle height adjustment screws do not protrude from the saddle. The angling of the height adjustment screws to avoid the bridge attachment screws is also a nice touch.

I can't say if I noticed a tonal change, as I went from .010s to .011s when I changed the saddles. They are fairly pricey, but a great addition to my guitar. I think Leo Fender would have approved of the design.

Bryan

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

Oh, I've already shelled Pete, just waiting for them to arrive.
    :JAM

6. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

I've got the "twang" set; Glendales definitely intonate better than typical saddles.

Absolutely worth the money.

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I just got the stainless set to try after having used Callaham brass for years.

They intonate slightly better on my guitar than the Callahams but I'm still deciding tonewise. I changed pickups to GVCG Lollars at the same time so it was a bit tricky to track the change.

8. Curly

Curly Member

I have a brass set with the magnetic bridge going in my next tele. Can't wait.
    I've used a Barden and Callaham; this will be the acid test.

I'd like to check the brass knob set, too.

9. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

On a related subject...

I just purchased a 54/55 Japanese P-Bass reissue with the "ïn pairs" intonation adjustment.

I struck out with Glendale but has anyone seen anybody offering pre-intonated saddles for my bass?

10. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I have the heat-treated steel set on each of my Teles. Furthermore, they each have Glendale bridgeplates. One has a non-magnetic and the other has the magnetic.

The tone of the heat-treated steel is different from the non-Glendale brass saddles that were on those Teles. The tone is just a little sharper than brass.

The bridgeplates made a huge difference in tone -- probably more significant than the difference made by the saddles. However, one must consider the type of bridgeplate that was on each guitar. Each guitar had a Gotoh traditional bridgeplate -- three saddles, just like a vintage Tele. However, the material used was considerably thicker than the Glendales -- thicker than ordinary vintage reissue bridgeplates, too. The Gotohs also had rather thick chrome plating, whereas the Glendales are unplated. The Glendales were a significant and obvious improvement over the Gotoh bridges, but I suspect that the difference between a Gotoh and an ordinary vintage reissue bridgeplate would also be significant.

11. mainsale

mainsale Member

Wilkinson is the only one that I know that makes adjustable compensated brass saddles for a bass guitar. I got a set for my Fender '51 and they work fine!

12. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I've used half a dozen sets or so, only the old style. The original design was great, the longer length ones don't fit on all bridges. Not an issue if you buy the new version, which look to have solved every possible complaint.

Great intonation, great sound, great service. I've used and like the brass, twang, hardened steel, and stainless steel.

13. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

I just installed a magnetic bridge plate and brass saddles on to my Am. Deluxe Tele. Every note now jumps up at me, the guitar feels more alive than when I had the older plate on there. I think it has made a huge improvement.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I put a Glendale bridge with the set that has two brass saddles, and one aluminum for the bottom two strings (twang set?). on a partscaster that I've been trying various pickups, necks, bridges, on for about 20 years. It's been my play around with guitar so I could could satisfy my curiosity about certain things while leaving other guitars alone--not entirely of course!. It was always ok, but never a guitar I really wanted to play whatever the mods I did. Since the I put on the Glendale bridge, not really expecting anything radical, it's suddenly very lively and sounds and plays great, and I've been playing it more than any other guitar I own. I never had an issue with non intonated saddles, these just work really well aside from that.