Tele Voodoo 50 vs 60 pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cap217, Feb 14, 2012.

1. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I have done the searches and researched other sites just to find dead threads that led to no answers.

Who has used both? The only thing I am getting is that the 60's is hotter and has more mids. But the specs show that the 50's are hotter.

2. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

Since no replies... I got this from a dealer:

50 represents a recreation of the year 1950, really clear mellow pickups with a low output. The 60 set is a little hotter and has a more full bodied sound.

Do you agree with this? I ask bc the TE50 has 8-10K output and the 60 has 7.5-8.5 output.

3. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I have found that opinion to be the differentiating factor between most 50s to 60s Tele although a Hot Nocaster type Pup is an exception to that rule.

As for output I am not sure that using those measures are a guide to loudness as I have had Lollar pups that were lower output than the Fender equivalent but had a lot more volume to then.

What type of Tele sound are you after (country, jazz, blues with a little rock thrown in or more of a rock/blues tone with the ability to do jazz). If the latter then go with the 60s if the former then go with the 50s. From the Teles and pups I have had early 50s pups have more twang but are less full sounding for distortion purposes.

Hope that helps..BTW If I was buying Tele pups they would be voodoos so good choice.

4. ultra

ultra Member

From memory, I found them to be the other way around. The TE-50 was a hotter and fatter sounding pickup than the TE-60. I have tried both and preferred the TE-50 which is still in my Tele.

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

You can't look at the numbers alone...the 50's Voodoo uses 43 gauge wire and the 60 uses 42...that skews everything in terms of just using the DC resistance.

mightysteve likes this.
  6. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

seems like everyone is as confused as I am. I guess I am going to put a call into Peter at Voodoo and see what he says. I emailed him but no reply yet.

7. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Thats the smart move

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

I don't think all 50s pickups were the same...

As a general rule as I understand it...I think pre 55 you have the broadcaster type sound which is hotter than the 60s and post 55 is/was a lower power clearer version which would be not as hot as a 60s set...

I think we're also mainly dealing with the bridge pickup and that the necks were very similar...

The above is not scientific but rather just my observation with a healthy dose of logic thrown in...

Chow,
    Seegs

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

"50's Tele pickup" means so much...the earliest ones were flat pole, fat A3 magnet, 43 gauge wire...after that Fender went to 42 gauge wire in the bridge pickup and switched the base plate from zinc to copper...then was the change to smaller magnets, then they staggered the magnets then they switched to A5 magnets...the entire time the wind was changing...

This was all in the 50's...

10. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I think when people say 50s they mean early 50s. Does anyone look for or want a mid-late 50s sound? Who makes them?

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I do/did!

I have an OC Duff 56/57 style pickup in my Esquire...alnico 5, staggered magnets, 42 gauge wire and wound to about 5.9k...killer pickup but a completely different sound from the early 60's stuff...

12. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

So how does a mid/late 50s pickup sound like compared to early50 and 60?

13. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member