Tele vs gibson es335 vs gretsch tennesse rose/white falcon

Skanabanugan

Unfortunately I haven't found a place where I can compare all 3 so was looking for some insight before I begin my quest of finding these guitars to play. I currently have a strat and les Paul and looking for something different. I've played the tennesse rose and really thought it was playable and could pull many tones out of it. Compared to my other guitars I would say it was more mellow in the highs and lows and had a nice midrange balance. How would you describe the other guitars? I pretty much like every genre of music and correct me if I'm wrong but the tele generally considered a twanger, the gretsch is for rockabilly and the es335 is generally warmer and used for jazz. - thx for any insight, Shane

tamader74

Well, First off I just gotta' tell ya', you HAVE to get the "Tele. is a twanger, and a Gretsch is for rockabilly" idea OUT of your head before you go ANY further. Many a Gretsch has been used for 'warmer' sounds/tones, once you get to know how to dial them in, and understand the electronics.

I'm sure you have heard a known phrase, "Tele.'s and Paul's", there's a reason for that phrase, because you CAN get a Tele. pretty dang FAT by working them there two little knobs,...and I can get my Tele. pretty warm, can get it a twangin', and a rockin' .

I suggest if you ARE in the market for a new guitar, you test drive a bunch of either before you just give up and settle on a 335 just because..., I'm NOT saying a 335 isn't a great guitar,...But they are like any other guitar, you have to play them also as there are several dog's in that pound.

Not all 335's are created equal, and once you get a good one, just like getting a good Tele., you WILL learn pretty quick that you'll want to keep it (I cannot think of two similar Instruments when it comes to that fact,...a good one is a good one, and that's that). I love Gretsch guitars, I just for a long time could not play them due to a Medical condition (I owned a 6122 Country Classic, and a 3141 which was more comfortable than the 6122). Sorry for the long response, but had to help so you 'went in' with a open mind. Tom

Skanabanugan

Thankyou I appreciate the input! Yeah the more I'm reading seems like the tele is one of the most diverse instruments next to a strat as far as styles. Just watched a video on here of a guy playing jazz with a tele... Didn't think that was possible because I thought teles were too bright for that.

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
Thankyou I appreciate the input! Yeah the more I'm reading seems like the tele is one of the most diverse instruments next to a strat as far as styles. Just watched a video on here of a guy playing jazz with a tele... Didn't think that was possible because I thought teles were too bright for that.
I love my tele for Jazz. Just took my Danocaster into Panama for some Jazz performances...

tamader74

^^^...Preach it Brother!!!,...I'm still trying to figure out after 5 decades what a/my Tele. WON'T do (LOL)...OK. I've only owned (at least) one for 3 of them decade's, I do remember 2 different times I went about 5-6 months without one,...and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Tom

Skanabanugan

Since I don't know much about teles what are some good models to check out? I think id prefer single coils and what about mim vs mia teles?

Waxhead

Unfortunately I haven't found a place where I can compare all 3 so was looking for some insight before I begin my quest of finding these guitars to play. I currently have a strat and les Paul and looking for something different. I've played the tennesse rose and really thought it was playable and could pull many tones out of it. Compared to my other guitars I would say it was more mellow in the highs and lows and had a nice midrange balance. How would you describe the other guitars? I pretty much like every genre of music and correct me if I'm wrong but the tele generally considered a twanger, the gretsch is for rockabilly and the es335 is generally warmer and used for jazz. - thx for any insight, Shane
Tele's are not just twangers imo.
Gretsch are not only for Rockabilly - most are THe most versatile guitars you can buy - think Malcolm Young.

Which Tennesee Rose did you play - one with filtertrons or with dynasonic PUPs ??
Gretsch sound very different depending on which PUPs you choose.
Tennessee Rose sound quite different to Falcons.

ES-335 are excellent too but sound different to the others.
They sound closer to your Les Paul than any of others you've listed here.
335's are not any warmer sounding than any Gretsch with filtertrons imo.

You really need to go test all these guitars.
No-one can explain it to you - you gotta hear for yourself & do proper research - good luck :)

Skanabanugan

Thx for the input:) Yeah I have to play them all I'd never buy a guitar unless I could play it first unless of course it was guitarcenter used cause you have the return policy. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect before I drive a ways to play some of these. You'd think a guitar center where I live in southern cal would have better gretsch than the $800 ones, and a 335.
Not sure which tennesse rose I played I thought there was only one I'll have to look into it but I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
I own all three of the guitars you are thinking about. All three guitars can do rock, country and jazz equally well. Depends on your playing ability, gear, amps,,etc. Didn't care for the Tennessee Rose when I played one. Get all three !

M

Member 37136

Since I don't know much about teles what are some good models to check out? I think id prefer single coils and what about mim vs mia teles?
The Baja Tele is perhaps the best MIM model I've encountered. Maybe one of the best, period.

tjmicsak

You could cover just about all three with a Tennessee Rose loaded with HiloTrons using the tone switch settings and pickup selections all the way from thin and bright to warm and mellow in the neck

Trending Topics