Tele vs Tele vs Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ash Telecaster, May 7, 2016.

Which would you rather have?

1. Fender Elite

19 vote(s)
    16.8%
  2. Warmoth or similar

25 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Boutique builder

69 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Member

If it were you would you rather have one of the new Fender Elites, build a Parts guitar, or buy from a boutique builder?

2. Serenity

Serenity Member

If money is no object i'd go boutique. I have serious GAS for a Scala T-Rod.

3. TeleFromHelly

TeleFromHelly Member

None of the above. Just got a relic custom shop tele, couldn't be happier

pressure likes this.
  4. Doodlebum

Doodlebum Member

Boutique for sure.

5. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

If I had the money, I would like to try a Suhr, or something else.
    Not a reality for me anymore.
    I will just play the Tele I have: 1998 Tele Nashville B bender MIA ... still have a lot to learn with it.

6. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

My only electric (I know TGP heresy) is a Suhr Classic T. When I graduated grad school in 2014 I decided to buy myself my lifetime #1 so I played every T style I could get my hands on, which was mostly a few Andersons, a few Suhrs, and every Fender that every shop in Seattle had. Point is, I played a ton of guitars and ended up buying a Suhr because it just felt right in ways that none of the couple dozen Fenders I played did. It's killer and makes even the high end custom shop ones feel like toys. thus, boutique has my vote.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  7. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Polls won't help here, only you can sort out which Tele speaks to you. I have a hopeless Thorn addiction; I've got a spec build G/T (Thorn's Tele style) on order -- can't wait for July to roll around!!

8. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

Buying vintage isn't an option?

9. axe4me

axe4me Member

MIM Esquire.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  10. LReese

LReese Member

I have to ask what flavor - Maple fingerboard or Rosie wood?

I'd be less picky with rosewood - I've got no issues with well cured lacquer or a non sticky satin finish on a maple fingerboard.

Easy answer is a Suhr, but might not fit in your budget. The Elite is probably a fine axe - never seen one in person. Its got some nice features.

11. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Member

Anything is an option. The reason I ask is that I was considering building one and using the best parts, Yada Yada. Then I read some posts talking about finish problems with the DIY bodies. Then I read the necks need leveling. Then I looked at the new Fender Elites and they seem to truly be the next evolution in Fenders product line and really fine instruments. But they are expensive so that gets me wondering if they are the same or better than something like a Suhr. This poll is to gauge what people think is best without explaining all that!

12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I'd have to play them all and let my ears & hands decide. And, without a no questions asked 100% return policy, I doubt I would do a custom build order with anyone. IMO, running the racks is best way to seek out a guitar. Only believe in what your own ears & hands tell you ;).

Building a guitar can be fun though but, until that first note is played, you don't know if you have a gem, dog, or something in between. I've built a few and they all sound good...but my best guitars are the one's I cherry picked by running the racks...including my best Tele, a stock MIM Fender Baja Telecaster. It put to shame other Tele's in the shop costing $4X as much!

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Vibrolux likes this.
  13. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Member

I like how simple and straight forward that guitar is. Personaly I use the neck pickup a lot. The MIM's are nice. I was really enjoying playing one the other day. I was thinking I could buy three of them, which strikes me as a pretty cool idea, for the price of an elite. Then I picked up an Elite and the difference in quality was significant. As it should be for that price difference. That put me back into the Elite realm. Great tone in that clip. I wonder what OD he's using?

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  14. axe4me

axe4me Member

I think that's the Maverick OD channel.
    I have the same head and it's that sound.

15. PixMix

PixMix Member

"Warmoth or similar" overlaps with some "boutique" production. Some boutique builders source parts from other makers ("similar"). My vote goes for Fender, elite or whatever plays and looks good.

16. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Money is no object? 1960 custom shop relic tele like Jason isbell plays.

17. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I would like to have a Danocaster, but with the lightest relic job possible. Surf green with a maple board.

Jven likes this.
  18. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

Baja. All day.

mikebat likes this.
  19. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I think everyone should build a guitar once. I did, and still enjoy it. It's a good guitar. But, as someone said...unless you really know what you're doing, you're less likely to build THE one.
    I've played a few Elites and they were fine instruments. Played and sounded really nice.
    I own a Dano...and it's a great instrument, better than nearly all the others I've played.

Good Luck..

20. 335guy

335guy Member

My 1st build was a Tele. I got an All Parts ( Japan ) body already finished. I bought a genuine USA Fender 9&1/2" neck but didn't realize it had jumbo frets, which are fine for some but I wasn't used to them. Body and neck fit fine. Then I got a Gotoh bridge and had the electronics done by a shop no longer in biz, Acme. They did a great job btw. It has reverse controls and a 4 way switch. Chose my authentic Fender pick guard. It was fine, sorta of. The DiMarzio pickups hummed a bit ( I didn't get noiseless and should have ) and the action wasn't spot on. I eventually took it to a good guitar tech who leveled, crowned and polished the frets and set it up for better action. It's a good guitar BUT, it still doesn't feel just right. I probably got $800 into it, all said and done. I think I'll replace the pickups with some that are noiseless and maybe the Gotoh bridge as well. It probably plays better than 90% of stock MIM or MIA Fenders, since the frets were meticulously done, but it's still not 100%.

And that's that problem with a build. You're never sure what you'll end up with, sonically or feel wise.